The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Office 2007 AND photo overlay problem

(17 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by fmxv
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 12060 times

fmxv

I just joined and I really hope one of the experts on this forum can help me! I have Office 2007 on a Dell laptop, no Vista, just XP. I was using Office for overlaying pics (or, I suppose, one could call them manips). It was working fine until a couple of weeks ago, it became impossible to put one photo on top of the other. The first inserted photo is fine, no problem. When I try to put the second photo over the first, it has a mind of its own and jumps all over, regardless where I attempt to put it. I've tried the "nudging" w/the arrow and that doesn't help either.

I'm at my wits end, to say the least and yes, I know I could use one of the other programs, but it is bugging the hell out of me as to why all of a sudden I have this problem. Any idea, or help....please!!!!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

When you say "Office 2007", which program where you actually using? Word, Powerpoint, Picture Manager..etc. If I was trying to do an overlay, I would use Word. But maybe you have a different technique.

Posted 6 years ago

coates719

Try selecting the picture then selecting the 'Format' Tab and changing the 'Text Wrapping' option to 'In Front of Text'.

Does this help?

Posted 6 years ago

fmxv

Sorry, I shouuld have made myself clearer. I'm using Word. *g*

Posted 6 years ago

fmxv

I tried the format and changed the text wrap, making sure each time to change everything back, but it still doesn't stay where I want it. I have read on occasion, that others have had this same problem occasionally, but I never came across any solution that worked and that's the only program I have a problem with. All others are working fine. I really appreciate everyone's help.

As I said, it's extremely frustrating because it had been working beautifully!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Why don't you use a slightly different approach:
1. load picture 1 into the word file
2. Go to INSERT button > Shapes > click on the rectangular > drag a rectangular shape over your picture1 (same way as if this was the snipping tool)
3. Go to "shape fill" (middle top) > picture > locate your pic and double click on it-that fills your shape with the selected pic
4. Go to "Shape outline" (under "shape fill") and click "no outline"
5. Note: the shape with the picture you can move around, resize it and even change the shape (underneath "shape outline")
I found this to be a nifty technique. There is a lot more you can do with the shape like 3D, shadows, etc. Just play around with it.

Posted 6 years ago

fmxv

whs, I tried your suggestion and it definitely helped. The only problem was that the "transparent color" bar was greyed out and not accessible. Would there be any way around that?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

What were you trying to accomplist with the "transparent color bar"? I have never used this function so I do not have a clear idea what it does. But maybe there are other ways to do what you want. Is this like a "watermark" function?

Posted 6 years ago

fmxv

Ok, I'm going to see if I can explain this so that it makes sense. When I overlay one picture over another in Word 2007, I've already "clean it up", so to speak, in Paint in order to erase certain parts that I don't want. When Word was working (LOL...talk about alliteration!)properly, I would be able to place that second picture over the first, click on "transparent color", and the background of the first picture would show thru the parts I'd already erased on the second pic. Does that make any sense at all? Anyway, when I tried your suggestion, it worked, but I couldn't use the transparent color feature.

*g* I hope I explained it clearly! Tx for your help!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Very clear explanation. I understand completely. Unfortunately I have no solution. I never tried such a function (which seems to be interesting for certain effects). I do not think it is possible with the technique I have suggested because the overlay picture is essentially replacing the blank space drawn by the shape. Maybe you would be better off fixing your Word so that it will do what it used to do. Have you ever tried to uninstall your current Word (but completely e.g. with Revo) and then reinstall it? I am pretty certain that one of the word system files got corrupted. For a longshot you can try SFC /SCANNOW (there is a blank in front of the slash) in Command Prompt (Run as Administrator). Sometimes system files get repaired that way. This takes only a couple of minutes and is worth a try.
Edit: I just remember that you are on XP and not Vista. I am not sure whether the SFC will work there and you probably have no Admin mode. Try it anyhow. There is nothing to loose.

Posted 6 years ago

fmxv

Thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate it! I'll try the SFC and see if it works. I'm beginning to think that it's a hardward problem, unfortunately. I even installed a mouse because I thought that it could possibly be my touchpad which has been a little wanky lately, but even that didn't work. I'm going to put Office 2007 on the house computer and see if it works there. If it does, then I'll know what the problem is.
Thanks again!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

You are welcome. Let's hear later how you made out.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

@fmxv, I think I found a way to do what you want to do. It is a little tricky, but I will be glad to explain it (in length and with pictures) if you are still interested. But I am going to wait for your answer before I do a lot of work. Here is an example. (note: the overlay pic originally contained a lot more stuff).

Posted 6 years ago

fmxv

That's EXACTLY it!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

OK fmxv, we would need about one hour together on the Forum so that we can get thru all the steps (one by one) and we also need to make a little system setting and download a free program. So let me know when you have an hour to spare (in Eastern Standard Time is OK - but note, I am 6 hours ahead of EST). And if I remember right, you said that you are on XP. So we will have to explore a few things because I have only Vistas.

Posted 6 years ago

fmxv

*g* You are so very kind to not only take the time to investigate, but to offer to help as well! I really appreciate it!

To bring the subject up to date:Yesterday morning I downloaded the 60day trial version from microsoft on another laptop and it was working fine. I decided, on a whim, to try the pix function on my laptop in the afternoon, and while I don't believe in coincidences, the damn thing is working now! *scratches head* Now THAT I don't understand. Even though the computers in the house are on the home network, there's no file sharing enabled, so I don't think one has anything to do w/the other, but it still is very strange!

Believe it or not, I'm actually considering purchasing a new laptop because of other issues I've started to have w/the #1505. However, I'm definitely interested in learning what method you've found. "Knowledge is power!"

Again, thanks so very much for taking the time!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

I am in the process of making a tutorial about this method - a couple of other people were interested too. Since it is kind of involved and I like to use pictures, it will take a little while (maybe 10 days) before it is done. Then I can have it forwarded to you via the moderators - if you like.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.