The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

office 2003 auto configures everytime

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by balaji71
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 3908 times

balaji71

previusly from xp, i recently switched over to vista ultimate sp0. i'm using office 2003 for my wordprocessing. in xp i wasn't facing any problems using office 2003 or for that matter any other software. in vista though, everytime i click on something (say, start>run, or win+E, or just about anything), a message box pops up saying "windows is configuring microsoft office 2003 professional edition" and then when it completes the configuring for a minute or two, it goes off. again when i start explorer or documents or click on start>run (or anything) the same msgbox pops up. this happens everytime i click my mouse and select anything or key in any windows shortcut key. though my system isn't harmed in any way, but it has become annoying to all of us using one pc for our jobs.

i tried switching windows installer service (services.msc) to disabled. but that prevents any software installation. so i've to reenable that for installation and then disable afterward. all my office 2003 setup files are cached in c:\msocache. one of my tech friends suggested i upgrade to office 2007 but i hate office 2007 because it isn't user friendly at all. so i'm stuck up with this annoyance.

i would greatly appreciate help in this regard.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

balaji71,

Your problem is not unique to Vista.

It will occur in XP also if MS Office 2003 is not setup properly for All Users.

The only way I know of to (really) fix the issue is to UN-install MS Office completely (there is a tool to use after the UN-install) and then custom re-install MS Office 2003 plus the service packs, updates, etc.

I know there may be a trick for fixing the problem without having to re-install the program but have never taken the time to research the issue fully.

One of our members such as (jd2066) may know the trick by heart and jump-in so be patient and wait before you UN-install the program.

I believe your "Tech Friends" were a bit grasping; you don't need to purchase MS Office 2007, you just need to install MS Office 2003 properly.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.