How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Obtain IP Automatically in Vista.

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by cartmage
  • Latest reply from ak03
  • Topic Viewed 1501 times

cartmage

Greetings!,
I have found many of your articles very handy and I was wondering if you could give me any advice on a “easy button� fix for my brother-in-law’s Laptop.

He is a trucker and has subscriptions to a few different wireless services at truck stops, unfortunately some of them, when he connects, run a script or something that set specific IP address and DNS for him. When he goes to the next truck stop, it won’t always connect to the new place’s network until he resets his connection to “obtain IP automatically�.

Your article on opening the network connections from the command line got me interested in if there was perhaps a way to write a command line shortcut to reset the TCP/IP v4 back to Auto Obtain, that way he can just click an icon instead of having to open the properties. (He isn’t the most computer savvy person and I have had to talk him through it a few times now.)

I figured that way next time he is home I can just set it up for him to save us both a huge headache.

Thanks alot in advance for any ideas!

Posted 6 years ago

ak03

I'm sure there is a way to write a script for this problem. But i know nothing about writing scripts. Sorry. Maybe the geek can help you out with that one.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!