How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - nVidia GeForce 210 Driver Crashing

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from hArLtRoN
  • Topic Viewed 1951 times

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have an nVidia Geforce 210 and so far the error below has happened 3 or 4 times tonight. It has done this before and then stopped when I updated the driver, however there is no driver to update to again. The temp for the card is also fine (~44 degrees Celsius idle). I haven't been doing anything other than like Facebook or just internet browsing when this has happened. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Usually a sign of the card going bad.
You could try to clean-uninstall the drivers. For that I use Driver Sweeper

Install Driver Sweeper, then uninstall Nvidia drivers via control panel [or better, launch the install .exe of the current driver and select Uninstall], then reboot in safe mode, run Driver sweeper - select 'Nvidia - Display - Clean, reboot normally, then re-install latest drivers).

Even though Driver Sweeper is no longer supported it works perfecly fine.
http://www.guru3d.com/content_.....eeper.html

If, after all those steps, the issue still occur, repeat the process but try installing an older driver ( http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx ).

You could also try removing / reinserting the card from the computer. Could be a simple connection issue.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I was really hoping that someone wouldn't say that!
I'll try your suggestion.

Hopefully its just a driver or connection thing. I don't have the money to replace the card.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

My bet is that the fan is kaput.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

I ran a Google search of the warning message you received in your taskbar and it returned numerous instances of other people experiencing the same, or similar issues.

One of the links I found comes directly from Microsoft:

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error in Windows 7 or Windows Vista"

Your PC may temporarily hang or become unresponsive, and you receive the following error message:
Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

This behavior can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver
Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down
The GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor

Note: If you are using an older video card, there may not be a video driver that is fully compatible with your version of Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/k.....orMeAlways

If you scroll down on the page, you will see two options for fixing the problem - one entails doing it yourself by editing he registry - but the second option offers a "Fix it for me" option, which you can try. Click on the Fix It icon and either run it directly, or save it to your desktop and run it manually.

See if this helps, and please let us know.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Xhi - I can still hear the fan on it when the computer is running.

Straspey - I will try your suggestion as well when I get home from school.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Looking is better than hearing. How do you know which fan you are hearing?? Also if one can hear a fan it may also indicate trouble. Fans, like children, should be seen and not heard.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I ended up uninstalling the drive via device manager and so far it has seemed to fix the issue. I haven't had the driver crash so I think it's fixed.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!