• Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2991 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Sandy Bridge
Confirmed CPU Release Dates.
http://en.expreview.com/2010/1.....12357.html

These will be 1155 Pin CPUs.

Existing I3, I5, I7 socket 1156 Pin Motherboards will NOT be compatible.

------------

Historical Note: [This is Not the first time Intel has done this]

Socket 423, also called PGA423, was a Pin Grid Array (PGA) socket introduced together with Pentium 4 microprocessor family in November 2000.
The socket supported Pentium 4 CPUs and was replaced with socket 478 just in 9 months after its introduction.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://www.fudzilla.com/proces.....and-priced

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

That looks like a nice step forward - and a lot cheaper than the 975X or 980X with the required mobo.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

No, the Intel 55 Series Chipset with (Lynnfield and Clarkdale CPUs - Pinout 1156)
will be replaced by the 67/65 Series Chipset with (Sandy Bridge CPUs - Pinout 1155)

Examples of new MBs.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1466/1/
http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/.....mputex-too

Trying to keep up with all Intel Chipset and CPU nomenclatures plus tech specs is hard work. :) :)

Coming up with the "monies" for a Build is even harder if not impossible. (lol) (lol)

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

You are right. As an occasional observer of the hardware announcements, I have great trouble keeping up with all their names and numbers. I was just trying to contrast the price/performance of the new series as compared to the x-series. Especially those required mobos are really expensive. And as you say, monie is always the showstopper. Once you add your dream CPU, mobo, graphic card and SSD together, you are looking at a new mortage.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yep, a (Top of the Line Build) starting from scratch can easily hit $4000 USD now. :( :(

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, you are being modest. My dream system is over $10.000. Fortunately it does not cost to dream.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Tis Very True.

That's all we old timers have now are our dreams. :|

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Sandy Bridge on schedule !!!!
New generation of Laptops released right after Christmas season as forecast above in topic.
http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2011-01-05
If you Built or Bought a computer during the holidays, hope you got a good Discounted Low, Low Price !

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, you were right. The i-series prices seem to be falling. Now is the time to buy those. With the G-series I would wait. For one, they are very expensive now and then you can expect the early series to be buggy. I have been too long in computer development to know about the problems with early editions.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

My friend whys is Correct !!!

From a [ Builder Stand Point ], one should NOT purchase a Motherboard with a Revision Level of 1.00.

Normally Motherboards and other electronic components go through at least (3) Revision Levels
before being considered mature.

This is where Good Vendors like Newegg excel.

They only ship the latest or most recent Revision Level of the products they advertise.

I remember the "bad old days" when one had to SPECIFY the Revision Level of
the hardware components they would only accept. :( :(

A Bios Revision can Fix Much BUT there is never a good day to have
replace chips on a Surface Mount Motherboard (Revision 1.00). (LOL) (LOL)

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, you smuggled a "y" into my logon name. Does that stand for "young" - like "young Mr. Grace" in Are you being served. LOL.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Me typing is poor BUT that was a Great TV program !!!! :) :)

We still get re-runs on cable sometimes.

------

By the way, my Good Machine burned up before Christmas, so now I'm running a ZERO COST CONTRAPTION RIG
I put together built with old outdated spare parts and a Northwood 3.0 hyper-threading CPU (Socket 478)
AND yes, I still run (6) HDs - (4 in Raid). (LOL) (LOL)

The machine runs "FAST" as White Lighting" and "SMOOOOOOTH" as a Baby's behind using
[ WIN-32 and Office 2010 ].

Only thing I need to do now is fix my LCD wide screen if possible as old CRT displays are "heck" on my eyes.

These new young Builders have got to get a "Mcgyver Attitude". (LOL) (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZj1uElADZw

Rick P. :) ;)

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Looks like you got work ahead. Did the good machine burn the mobo?

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yep,

All the MB Phase voltage regulators plus most of the other chips were destroyed so
just trash canned the whole MB. :( :(
========
Had to get back up and running with NO money so that's when I started going through
the old parts back in the junk room.

The components for this rig I'm typing on right this moment range in age back to the year 2000. (LOL)

This MB is an old P4 series Asus with (2) different controllers on-board that cross connect
so it can handle (10) HDs in a SATA plus IDE mixture.

I even put Dual LANS plus WiFi on this "thing". :) :)

Told Mod Scott that no one would ever believe this contraption I built for ZERO DOLLARS
over Christmas BUT it do work WELL !!!!

Everytime I posted on HTG over the Holidays was really for testing purposes.

I'll post a picture of it as soon I get a camera fixed. (LOL) (LOL)

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

@Rick, will upload some pictures tomorrow. I was given some old hardware (like pre 2000). Think I'll get W7 to run on them? :0P

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@PH,

I think you can do It !!!!

What you might have to do is Extract some of the old drivers and work on the software
a bit so that you can get the old sound cards, etc.. installed.

Also Intel didn't fix the chipset drivers for anything below ICH5 so you will have to do that possibly.

I had to fix an ICH5EB to look like an ICH5ER.

When everything is installed and configured properly, you should just get (1) error in the Boot Logs.

The error will be that the CPU doesn't support some Power (Sleep) functions BUT it should not effect anything.

GO FOR IT. TIMES ARE "TUFF" !!!! :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Sounds a bit beyond my capabilities LOL. I don't think I could spare the time it would take me either.

Ideally I want to assemble at least one working box, install Linux or XP if I can find a suitable COA, put it on freegle, and it can go to someone who needs it.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I have XP-64 MS LEGITIMATE NEVER USED CALS (COAs) but no equipment to run 64 Bit O/S on.

My plan was to make Builds for Needy Children but they use Laptops for schooling now.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!