SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

NOTE: We're running on a backup server, due to data center issues.

(18 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 2566 times

thegeek
The Geek

Yesterday around 6PM EST or so, the hosting center where I have my server had an explosion of some type... which caused them to lose power, and it looks like it'll be a day before it comes back up. Thankfully the server is fine, but I can't access it.

This just goes to show that it's really important to have OFF SITE backups when you are running a website. Thankfully I set that up about 6 months ago... We did lose a few forum posts, since the last backup was about 6 hours before the crash.

Everything else should be fine, we shouldn't lose any more posts.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Is it back?!? Oh my, I've been suffering from HTG withdrawal! Need a fix -- must help someone solve a problem.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

We are indeed back... I had to quickly get a new server at a different hosting provider, copy all the files up and get everything setup and running.

There's still a few problems with things not working... but it'll all be resolved shortly.

I better get a free month of hosting out of this.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Will those posts come back when you get access to the server?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

So, the missing posts are gone forever? It looks like some of mine got nuked in the 'splosion and I have no backups. If I remembered to always add a thread to my favorites, and therefore RSS feed, I would be more likely to have a copy of my own replies.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I will attempt to restore all of those posts if possible... I don't think there were all that many, just posts between 12:30pm EST and 6pm EST.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Well, I think everything is operational at this point.

Once they get the data center back up and running, I'll evaluate how many posts we lost (they aren't lost, they are just on the other server). I'll try and restore them if possible... but I'm not sure how easy that will be.

If you are curious, all the details on the explosion are here: http://forums.theplanet.com/in.....opic=90185

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I think there maybe something wrong with the RSS feed. My feed reader is dating all the new posts as 2008-05-31 12:XX pm. XX being the minute.
Also my RSS reader still has the posts from that time period. I'm not sure though if I should repost my posts as they will be back later.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I'll look at that... for me it shows the correct time, but the problem is likely because this server is in a different timezone than the regular server is.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. Oddly enough the first post in this topic and my last post in this topic show the correct time.
Edit: As do the last few posts by ScottW and Lighthouse on the other topics. Maybe it fixed itself.
Edit 2: This post though showed up with the wrong time.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

I was going to say that i was wondering where some of my posts went!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

It's probably best if all take a few days vacation and give them a chance to fix it. The Geek is trying his best, but with all those lost posts it is not easy to make an orderly follow-up on the affected posts.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

wow looks like i missed a bit here huh?

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Well that's a relief. I thought the problem was on my end. Jack, the site went down for a while. No worries mate!

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

For more on the problem, it was also covered on slashdot: http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/.....5247.shtml

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya but i don't have internet anymore :( so i haven't been able to get on lately

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

jack what HAS happened to your internet?
I guess your on at school as your write these?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@aleeve i ran out of money and couldn't pay it at the time so they shut me off. but now i'm back up so it's all cool now :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.