The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Not starting up, possible HDD error

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Whiskie
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2947 times

Whiskie

Last week I turned on my computer and it lagged then bluescreened to a kernel error. It then restarted itself but since then has not been able to load the OS at all. I have tried start-up repair, but it does not work - simply endlessly restarting itself in attempt to fix the problem. (And taking a very long time to do so.) I did a BIOS test on both the HDD and Memory; memory is okay but the quick test for the HDD came out as "Hard Disk Error 303."

I have a tendancy to not read manuals so I didn't have any "personalized" recovery discs.... so I ordered new ones from HP, however they too proved to be unable to solve the problem. The error window states:

Copy File Fails
To: C:\RM\Image\BASE.WIM

Press OK to retry.

I pressed OK but the same message keeps popping up. I'm not sure what to do and have already accepted the fact any data on there has most likely already been lost. I just want to try to recover my computer. If it helps my computer is an HP laptop, Pavillion series.

Any help on this would be fabulous.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Whiskie,
---
Have you contacted HP Support conserning the issue besides just ordering the recovery discs ????
---
You could make a Boot Disc and check out the issue but it appears to me from your post that there is a Hardware Problem.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
---
Get your files back maybe ??
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Whiskie

There wasn't much data on it anyway - it was only a month's worth - so I didn't try to recovery any data. Thanks for the links though, I'll be sure to use them the next time something happens.

My dad insisted that we had to buy another HDD so we could boot up the computer. (He's the kind of guy who doesn't accept outside help so easily... go figure.) It's working this way now, but we still have the issue of the not-working HDD. I wonder what's wrong with it? My dad says we can still use it as a backup if we can clear the issue somehow, but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks for replying so quickly! I didn't expect such a quick response.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Whiskie,
---
Always follow your Dad's instructions. :)
---
I'm sure you guys can work out the issue.
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!