The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Not enough fan connectors!

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Hawk22
  • Latest reply from Hawk22
  • Topic Viewed 4915 times

Hawk22

I recently put together a new gaming PC. The PC runs fine, but I have a few issues. Firstly, the case (NZXT Tempest) has 5 fans, but the motherboard (EVGA nforce 780i SLI FTW) only has 4 "3 pin" fan connectors. How do people end up using all these fans, or do most people just leave them off?

Also, I noticed that I couldn't plug all the cables coming from the front portion of the case. I found an HDAudio cable, and plugged that in, but there were also like 6 individual plugs which I couldn't find a spot for (the manuals offered little assistance) (the plugs are MIC-IN, MIC-POWER, GROUND, L-OUT, R-OUT, L-RET, R-RET). Do I need all those individual plugs in, or will the HDAudio plug make those pointless (they are on 1 cord, as if they were intended to be plugged in together, or intended to be an either/or situation).

Sorta on the same topic, the front panel has 2 USB slots, but I could only find 2 USB connectors for the motherboard (which are being used up by the 4 USB slots from the back of the tower). Is there an adapter, or should I just never use those slots?

I'm fairly new to all of this MOBO stuff, so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Hawk22,

I just splice more fans into device power cables as needed.

Be sure the splices are insulated properly using tiny wire nuts, sleeves or electrical tape.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Rick. What the heck is a wire nut ?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@LH,

They come in all sizes for making electrical connections.

Here are large Wire Nuts for picture clarity.

http://www.electronicplus.com/.....s/WN76.jpg

In computers, use small Wire Nuts appropiate to wire size.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I have never seen one of those before in my life. Must be a US thing :)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@LH,

Been used forever in construction.

Check behind a wall socket plate at your place.

Regards,
Rick P. :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

LH

They definitely do not use those in UK or France. I presume they are crimp ?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@LH,

NO CRIMP.

Nuts have internal spring coil.

Just screw the twisted wires connection into the nut. Will not pull out.

On large gauge wire connections, finish off with a couple of wraps of electrical tape for double security.

FAST !!!!!!!!! and complies with Electrical Code.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Hawk22

Thanks for your help. I heard that maybe I overlooked a split, which would allow 2 fans to connect into 1 3 pin slot. If so, I'd just need two of these to use all the fans. Has anyone seen these before? I'm not really into striping wires much, and would prefer if it would just click in and be finished...

Also, do I need these Misc. plugs, or does the HD Audio already cover all of those?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Hawk22,

Wye Connectors are fine for the extra fans.

Different Cases come with all kinds of connections for front panel connections.

Suggest putting your BUILD together EXACTLY as your MB manual describes.

The MB back connections should all work OK.

I use big tower cases so I never fool with the aux front case connections although some others might find them convenient.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Hawk22

Thanks for your help, I'll see how they hook up.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

@Rick. from Wiki,
Wire nuts are widely used in America, but have not been permitted on 240v mains installations since the 1950s in Britain.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@LH,

Haven't looked at National Electrical Code in many years since retirement.
Each country does have their own building codes so not surprised.
Some small wire nuts at bottom of Page Link are handy for hooking up small wires as we were talking about in a computers.
There is a color code standard for wire size connectors.
First page I clicked on to is an audio visual store but that's OK for picture purposes.
http://www.mbelectronics.com/view.aspx?id=491

This is old NEC Standard I think ?? from what I can remember.
Member (Sparky) would know the latest NEC Code I feel sure.

Wire and Cable Connectors and Terminations:
1. For splices in branch circuit conductors solid or stranded size No.10 AWG and smaller, use UL listed soft plastic wire nut with sharp self-cutting interior threads, 3M Scotchlok, Ideal Supernut, or T&B Piggy of the size to match the wire.
2. For terminations of stranded or solid wire in size No.10 AWG and smaller at equipment terminals, use UL listed, tin-plated copper, 600 volt vinyl insulated compression type ring or fork type equivalent to T&B "Sta-Kon" or Burndy "Vinylug".
3. For No.8 AWG and Larger: T&B "Locktite" connectors, Burndy "Versitap" connectors, or OZ-Gedney solderless connectors, with insulating covers, tape or heat shrink insulation system.

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

@LH, in the 15 years I spent in the US I have learned that the standards are quite different here than in Europe. The American devices are usually a lot more practical and faster to install. They also lend themselves more for use by a non-professional. In Germany (and I assume it is similar in the UK) you need a 3 year apprenticeship to be able to use this stuff. It is similar in plumbing. Any time I want to fix something in my home in Germany, I have to get a craftsman (for €60 per hour). In my house here, I fix nearly everything myself. The downside is that occasionally a house burns down around here - because of faulty wiring.

Posted 5 years ago

collinsl

[Quote: Hawk22]
I recently put together a new gaming PC. The PC runs fine, but I have a few issues. Firstly, the case (NZXT Tempest) has 5 fans, but the motherboard (EVGA nforce 780i SLI FTW) only has 4 "3 pin" fan connectors. How do people end up using all these fans, or do most people just leave them off?

Also, I noticed that I couldn't plug all the cables coming from the front portion of the case. I found an HDAudio cable, and plugged that in, but there were also like 6 individual plugs which I couldn't find a spot for (the manuals offered little assistance) (the plugs are MIC-IN, MIC-POWER, GROUND, L-OUT, R-OUT, L-RET, R-RET). Do I need all those individual plugs in, or will the HDAudio plug make those pointless (they are on 1 cord, as if they were intended to be plugged in together, or intended to be an either/or situation).

Sorta on the same topic, the front panel has 2 USB slots, but I could only find 2 USB connectors for the motherboard (which are being used up by the 4 USB slots from the back of the tower). Is there an adapter, or should I just never use those slots?

I'm fairly new to all of this MOBO stuff, so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
[/quote]

The audio FP headers sound to me like there is a block for a HD audio motherboard, and the loose connectors you describe are for non-HD front panel connections.

Posted 5 years ago

Hawk22

Collins. You are in my boat 100%. Sounds like we have the same parts as well. Here's what I have concluded:

The Tempest has 2 back panel USB cords (totally 4 USB slots) and 1 cord from the from (adding another 2 USB slots). I just went ahead and left 2 of the back USB's unplugged, and plugged my from USB into the motherboard. There probably is a splitter, but I doubt you will use those USB immediately (this is just what I decided)

The Fans offer another problem. I have been told to look into getting splitters for the fan connectors, but I was warned to check with the fan (or in this case tower) manufacturer to be sure the fans CAN be split without problems. I would advice picking the best fans to use, and leaving a couple of the others unplugged. The side fan, on the clear door, brings air in, so have that one plugged in. Have one of the top fans, the one directly over the PCU plugged in, as well as the back fan, and the fan next to your hard drive. This will leave 2 of the fans unplugged, but the air flow should be pretty good. I believe I have a fan from my RAM (corsair Dominator) plugged into a 3 pin fan slot as well, and you might also.

Finally, you only need the HD Audio plugged in, NOT the small single ones. This is an either or situation, ok? Plug the HD Audio into the slot on the bottom left, next to the BIOS MOBO reset button... I think you should be able to find out where it goes.

If you have any other problems, I found EVGA support staff to be great! Give them a call, they were super nice to me. Hope this helps.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.