How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

(Solved) - norton

(25 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by jrxjjeep
  • Latest reply from bubbatie1
  • Topic Viewed 2376 times

ispalten
ispalten

I haven't paid for Norton's ISS in years!!!! Every Black Friday it is sold FREE in the US it seems (well, not free, this year, $70USD, $10 instant rebate, a $30 Symantec Rebate, and another $30 Symantec rebate for prior owners). I paid $60USD at the store plus taxes, and had to wait 2 months for the $60 in rebates to come. Cost was the taxes, mailing costs and loss of use of the $60 for 2 months... good enough for me.

I don't know ANYONE who has not gotten an infection at one time or another even with up to date products. My wife was hit by a redirection virus using Norton, but I've stayed clean as had our other computer. Grandson is running McAfee and I get calls routinely from him, HELP!!! Last was the Windows 7 Antivirus 2012 just last week.

It all depends 'where you go' I guess?

I've needed to contact Norton more than ones. A long time ago using N360 my hard drive shrank to zero and was losing MB's per minute. With the help of Symantec it was eventually determined to be a problem with MS's BOOTREC (I think that was it?) and N360 storing that info away. Stopped using BootRec and problem went away. Another time, and this isn't Norton alone, when Thunderbird is updated (and even FireFox) they don't have updates to handle the e-mail scanning and Norton Toolbars on FireFox immediately. Beta's maybe, but it can take a week or two before they release them. Same for McAfee and I said I had real problems with them when I upgraded Thunderbird to 3.0 from 2.0. They couldn't get it working on e-mail. What that meant to me was 'good' e-mails were quarantined automatically. After 5 months they still didn't have it working, and the 'suggestion' was to use the beta s/w, no thank you, hello Norton.

I hope you never need service and continue to be happy with what you have.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

When you get a high usage pop-up from Norton, you can customize it to not be shown again and I think this removes it from monitoring. The reason you DO want this is because some process can do this and you wouldn't know about it. It could be a rogue process. Even with a high powered machine I have with 8GB's of RAM, I do get notified about certain programs that I know are either disk or RAM intensive having high use. Since I know this, I disable them.

I've not found Norton to be a 'bother' or a system load (N360 has the same A/V and FW as the ISS). It does require you to customize the settings to whatever you want. Almost all components can be changed or even turned off. Proper tuning helps a lot, especially the part on program options.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Irv is right. If you peel your eyes and study the Sunday ads, you can get Norton for nearly free (and not only on black Friday). I got it twice for the price of the 6.5% sales tax and got my MIR back after 5 weeks and once I paid $30 for a full 3 system version.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Equal protection and no wait to get my money back my way. But, as usual, the argument is really moot. It's a matter of taste.

Posted 2 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

was just thinking the same thing whs also (likei did) got 3 ppl pitch in $10 we all get a copy :P

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!