The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

(Solved) - norton

(25 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by jrxjjeep
  • Latest reply from bubbatie1
  • Topic Viewed 2376 times

jrxjjeep

have windows 7,when microsoft security essential did its scan.i seen in the scan a norton file.if i uninstalled norton y is it still there. i tryed to search for the file.but cant find it.

and can this file be a problem for the microsoft security.i uninstalled norton 360 because it was eatting up my ram memory.i only have 2g

PS. newbe here dont no if the is a dumb question or not.or something to not worry about thanks

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

check if the file is in the quarantine in the microsoft security essentials...

Posted 2 years ago

jrxjjeep

sorry newbe here how do i do this

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

jrxjjeep, hi and welcome. Have you really uninstalled Norton?

To be sure; use this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=20080710133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

Edit; only use one app at a time. Get rid of Norton with the above and then rescan with MSE

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

You apparently did not use the Norton Uninstaller. All AV programs I know have their specific uninstallers and unless you use those, they will not uninstall correctly.

Btw: MSE uses more RAM than Norton which is also a much better AV program than MSE. Norton uses appr. 12MB and MSE uses appr. 60MB.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Never seen that before with Norton. MSE can be controlled thus

Posted 2 years ago

jrxjjeep

@ whs so put norton back in.but when i play games on facebook they are slow.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, are you saying that the games are faster without Norton ?? That would amaze me because Norton (NIS2012) is really not intrusive at all. I run it on 3 systems and all the scans are done during idle time and when I do other things, Norton takes zero CPU time. You can check that in Task Manager (show processes of all users) and in Resource Monitor (if you have Windows7).

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

@Mike, Yeah, you better control that in MSE because a full system scan takes ages. In Norton you can set it to weekly, monthly or quaterly. But that is not really necessary because the scans are automatically done during idle time. They stop when you do things and resume again when the system is idle.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

I have never understood the argument over which AV is best. Few folks need "best". Personally I go for free and sufficient. If Norton was free I'd probably use it. Until them it's MSE for me. And... I haven't had a virus on any of my computers since 1992 when I used to put a lot of floppys in random computers and brought an infection home. The solution then was to practice "safe floppy", that was, leaving the little plastic sleeve on it when you put it in a stray computer.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

You are right - there is no 'best' AV program. But I had a terrible experience with free AVG (18 systems completely infected at the computer club) and MSE (2 keyloggers caught on my own systems). With Norton I never had a similar problem. That's why I keep it for the small fee they charge. And they are always very helpful when you need their support.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

There is more to 'security' that just 'an' A/V. You need more to get complete protection, and it depends on the user, but a FireWall should be implemented as well, and both an in and out variety for complete coverage. Then you can think about Parental Controls and Personal safety, the sending out of SS#'s and ID's for instance (I find it works well but is a royal pain when you really want to send that data so I for one don't use it).

Next is 'footprint', how much RAM does it use AND does it matter to you? Some products are not good for low RAM systems and hinder system operation.

After that, the system load factor needs to be taken into account. Have a minimal system, this is very important.

Lastly, SERVICE, and if you have a problem, this is a big deal. Generally speaking, paid for versions have more, web sites, community help forums, and in some cases even free vendor service.

Dead last is basically integration, both in terms of suite's and on the desktop.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

excuse me for hijacking but by chance ...... are you using ccleaner too jrx?

http://www.piriform.com/download

try cleaning out your system & then try your game see if it helps!

i too run norton & play games flawessly but i also clean out everyday

Posted 2 years ago

jrxjjeep

thanks guy for all the input.i spent 80 buck on the norton 360 for 3 pc's.the support pep's wanted more money to straighten my laptop.so where is the support.or did i not have the right number to norton.it seems to me like the pep's i was talking to weren't norton.they wanted 100 some bucks to fix stuff. so wtf.thanks

Posted 2 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

i thought norton has free support for 1 year . if its under 1 yr old go onlinr to the chat app.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

I have Norton since 4 years and never paid a penny for their support. In fact they are always very helpful. I used both their chat line and their phone service - last time yesterday. So I do not understand what the problem is. Go to live chat on the left side of this page. I found this to be the most practical:

Norton Chat

Note from MOD: Link edited for clarity.

Posted 2 years ago

semiretired
semiretired

I swear by Norton. It has gotten better in the last few years. I don't know if 360 is included in all their products, but get the norton av with 360.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Norton offers support in a variety of ways. Community Forums have had Symantec employees in there and they and other users can solve most problems or get you on the right track. Phone and Chat I believe are only for problems with Norton products, not fixing your computer after a virus attack. For those there is a $99 change I believe.

If you LOOK HERE you'll see 3 different support options, Product Support, Virus Removal, and Norton Live which offers different services and fees.

My wife and 3rd computer have been using Norton for what seems forever, and we've had a mix of Internet Security Suite and 360's, depends which is on-sale when the subscription is up. My computer came with McAfee and I had some 'problems' with it in year 2 of a 3 year subscription and I dumped it in favor of Norton. All I can say is that I prefer Norton ISS over the McAfee product, in both speed, operation, non-annoyance and yes, support for operational problems.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

I have used the free AVG, AVAST and Microsoft Security Essentials for years on many, many different computers. I have never had any problems, or viruses. I have never had need of support of any kind. None of the customers I support have virus types of problems after I install one of those products. If I ever had need of support on a product more than once I would get rid of it. There is absolutely no reason that any normal computer user should have to pay for antivirus or other security support. But, if one has lots of money and likes the pretty colors then I guess that is a choice. Personally I'd rather spend my extra money on neat hardware or software that I can not get for free.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

jrxjjeep

@semiretired i have norton av 360 got it 3 weeks ago. had norton 2011 before that.but uninstalled it.and went with MSE.because norton was running to much.and it made the games on facebook to slow. norton would pop up.with high PCU.i only have 2g of ram memory.but maybe i dont no how to use norton the right way. had no problem with norton 2011.there nothing on my laptop.i have all startup turn of.the only startup is windows 7 and microsoft is the only thing running i think ?.norton 360 has pc tune in it.disk op,registrey clean all that.dont no what i did wrong.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!