The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - No Sound On My PC

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mayflower22
  • Latest reply from LuknerU2
  • Topic Viewed 596 times

mayflower22

I know it's not my speakers because I assumed it was and bought new speakers, with the same result,
so it must be my computer.

My drivers are up to date and I've tried fiddling around with volume page/thing?

I have XP/8 windows and my computer is Dell, 7 years old and is good in every other way
but I miss my sound. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

mayflower22 Hi and welcome.

Could you post the exact model of your machine please, PC or laptop

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Do the speakers work in one OS and not the other, or are they failing in both ?

Posted 1 year ago

mayflower22

Hello Mike and thank you for your reply and welcome. My PC is Dell Dimension 3000.

Hello Guilty Spark and thank you for your reply. I don't know because I do not have another OS.
I have already ruled out that it is the fault of the speakers. With my old speakers, they had started
to "crackle" before they started to make no sound at all. That was when I decided to buy new speakers
but there is still no sound, so I think that is good enough proof that the problem is with the computer's
sound workings.

Thanks to both of you for trying to help,

mayflower22.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

If the speakers work, and the drivers are good, then it follows that it must be the sound card or the physical port itself. Does the input port, and/or the mic port work? Personally I find it is usually a driver problem, but if you are sure...

Posted 1 year ago

Marksheet

mayflower22,

"XP/8 windows" ?? Could you elaborate that please ??
Okay, Right click on that little loudspeaker icon on the taskbar (you'll find it near the clock) and click on playback devices. Now could you please post the screenshot of that playback devices page here ?? So that we can have a look...

Posted 1 year ago

mayflower22

It's working! I discovered that it was at the wrong setting when I found "Adjust Audio Properties".
It is now on "USB Audio", I don't know how it changed because I certainly didn't touch it.

Thank you all for your help and I hope you don't think I have wasted your time. I would not
have found that without the right click trick.

This is a wonderful forum, I think I will be spending a lot of time on it. I have already learned
a lot just by reading some of the posts.

Happy Saturday to all of you brilliant Geeks!

Sincerely,

mayflower22 (the 22 is not my age - I wish, try approx 3 times that, 22 is my birth date)

Posted 1 year ago

LuknerU2

having same problem after installing a different driver no sound yet I have the usual inputs and outputs on the mother board

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@LuknerU2, Please start a new topic for your problem. Yours may be different and It would be to your benifit. not to Hi jack this members thread.

Posted 1 year ago

LuknerU2

thank you no hijacking intended happy happy joy joy

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.