The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

No Restore Points Have Been Created

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by raiderj77
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 14658 times

raiderj77

I got a Dell Inspiron 1525 from a friend that got it from a friend so i'm now the 3rd owner it's been passed around because it's never worked properly. The first thing I tried is the System Restore & that is saying the "No Restore Points have been created on your computer's system disk. When I try to create a point Vista stops responding can I do this from Safe Mode?? It is Vista Home Basic. 32 bit.

Posted 5 years ago

raiderj77

I start the computer up in normal mode then it stops reponding after 2 or 3 minutes, & works just fine in safe mode. I have tried to do the system restore but says i have not created restore point. I am the 3rd owner of this computer & have no idea when it started just right. can someone help me please?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Something is interfering. Could be a startup program. I would stop all startups (in msconfig) and see what happens. But since you are a "new" owner, you might want to reinstall Vista. Is there a recovery partition (usually D:). If yes, apply this procedure:

Step1
Burn all your important files to a CD or store on a memory stick. Remember you will lose each bit of information that you had stored in your computer including the programs that you had installed, such as Microsoft Office.
Step2
Unplug all the devices and drivers from your CPU (except the keyboard and the mouse), including your printer, camera and memory stick.
Step3
Shut off the computer and then turn it on, or simply restart it.
Step4
As soon as you see the Dell logo at the start keep on hitting the F8 key repeatedly. Do not stop until you see the screen that says "Repair your computer." There will be other options too but chose this option and hit Enter.
Step5
Next you will see a prompt window giving you options to select the keyboard layout select from the drop-down menu "US" and click "OK."
Step6
On the next screen you will be asked to select the user ID and the password of your Windows Vista account. Select your user account, but make sure your user account has administrative functions. Type in your password. If you don't have a password, leave it blank and click "OK."
Step7
Now you will come to a window with multiple options. Choose the one at the bottom that reads, "Dell Factory Image Restore." If you are unsure at this point whether you want to go ahead and restore your factory settings you may click "Restart" or the "Shut Down" buttons at the bottom of this prompt window. The computer will restart your computer without executing this operation, and you will get your most recent settings back. Otherwise clicking "Dell Factory Image Restore" will generate an operation that will take about 45 minutes to complete.

Posted 5 years ago

raiderj77

Thank you, I tried the both options in order. The first option I still get the same result, it freezes after a minute or so. The second option is not there "Repair your computer" I see all the other options.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, seems to be in really bad shape. Maybe you could call Dell and ask them to send you a Vista installation disk. They usually do that for a S&H fee. Apparently your recovery partition has been deleted or corrupted. But you should have some way to reinstall Vista. With 2 previous owners you really don't know what you have on your hand.
I just went thru a similar situation with someone else. We were trying to get this system up and running again, but after 2 weeks of trial and error, we ended up reinstalling Vista.
You can, of course, try the usual routine. Cleanup with CCleaner, scan for malware with Superantispyware, test your disk with this method. You can also check your RAM with the Memtest trial. But at the end of the day you will probably still have a limping system - but the disk and RAM tests may be useful to get at least a clear picture about the condition of the hardware..

Posted 5 years ago

raiderj77

Thank you. I tried the hard disk for errors & now it seems to work fine the only thing is now i cannot get onto the internet.. my connection is good & I reset my modem & everything else I know.. (which is not much).. once again thank you for your help.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

1. I would still suggest to get the Installation disk from Dell. One day you will need it for certain.
2. Could you elaborate a little more on your internet problem. Which browser, did you try different browsers, can you send/receive mail, any messages, etc.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!