How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

No post / video signal with Asrock 939Dual-Sata2

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by chouf
  • Latest reply from Budohorseman
  • Topic Viewed 5778 times

chouf
chouf

About 3w ago, I started to have big slow down when playing games (random freeze and so on). After a lot of researches I found that the issue could be the PC was too hot. So I decided to clean it up and remove the thick layer of dust inside.

I carefully used a vacuum cleaner with a brush to remove the dust from the HDD, mobo, gpu etc... I also tried to clean the CPU fan, but unfortunately, when removing it, the CPU came with it (so i didn't have the chance to lift the lever to properly removed the CPU - which wasn't of my plans but anyway) as it was "glued" to it because of the thermal paste. I put everything back, restarted the PC and ... nothing. All fans and HDD are spinning, but nothing is displayed on the monitor. I briefly smelled a light smell or burnt and immediately switched the PC off. I took the CPU off again and realized that when putting it back in the socket, I wasn't careful enough and I broke 4 pins.

So I ordered a new CPU last week, this time I managed to put it carefully back in place (I read the manual in advance this time), restarted the PC and again, no video signal whatsoever. Everything is starting up (I can see all fans and HDD spinning, all leds seem to show some kind of activity), but nothing is displayed. I know the monitor is OK because I've tried with my laptop.

Again, after some research, I've been told that I probably burnt my MB because of static electricity; so I bought the same MB on eBay, I tried it last week and it still doesn't work. I've re-connected all components carefully and so on, verified jumper settings; but I get no POST message at all. All fans and leds are on, but no POST. So after some thought I ordered a new power supply as I thought I burnt the other on. I've installed everything and it's still the same issue.

I borrowed another graphical card and RAM from work. I've tried one by one all 4 RAM modules (also in different slots), the 2 MB (my old oneand the one from eBay) and 2 graphical cards (both DVI with a DVI-VGA adapter - does it make a difference for POST? I hade that before and was getting all POST messages). The problem remains. I don't know what to do.

The CPU is brand new so it's very unlikely to be the cause of the issue.

I've did all my tests with all components outside the case to avoid any short-circuit.

Any idea/advice is welcome.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

C'est la merde. Is there anything of the old system you haven't changed?

Posted 6 years ago

chouf
chouf

yep indeed the big merde.... no i've changed everything. I tried with other RAM, the new CPU, the new PSU, another GPU and the other MB.... I'm really stuck and this is driving me crazy...

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Well, if I read this correctly, you broke four pins when you reinserted the old cpu and then replaced the cpu on the same mobo. It is possible that the damage to the socket may have fried your new cpu. Check to see if your cpu is still under warranty and see if you can get a replacement.

Posted 6 years ago

chouf
chouf

hi there,
damn really? It's a brand new AMD X2 3800+ (so still under warranty).
I indeed put it back on my original MB but it got no video signal (btw exactly the same symptom as right after when I "hoovered" the PC.

the pins of the old cpu where not broken but "just" bent, do you think this could be enough to damage the CPU socket?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Could you tell us which 4 pins they were please?

Posted 6 years ago

jonhill987
jonhill987

Not that this happened in this case but for future reference cleaning a computers insides with a vacuum cleaner is a big no no. The dust rubbing against the plastic tube as it enters the cleaner can create static. Touch anything sensitive with the nozzle afterwards and bang, you just stuck potentially* hundreds of volts across it.

*See what I did there? Potential, Voltage? Get it?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

By bent, do you mean bent flat or just angled? Those levers put a lot of pressure on the cpu to keep good contact so if they got bent while they were going into the socket there may well have been some damage done to the socket.

Oh, and next time use a can of compressed air to clean out your pc, those brushes are typically plastic and plastic just loves to build up static electricity. Most integrated circuits and pcb's just hate static electricity.

Posted 6 years ago

chouf
chouf

hey guys, thanks for your replies.
yep I finally understood why they are selling air duster sprays for PC, a bit too late ... :(
I have 2 pins 90 flat and some other a little bit bent (just not super straight anymore).
after a closer look, i have a bit more than four: http://www.servimg.com/image_p.....u=11937221

Posted 6 years ago

chouf
chouf

but again this is on my old AMD 3500+
Now I'm doing all the tests with the brand new AMD X2 3800+

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

And for all us poor people out there. A car foot pump with some small bore tube attached works just fine.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

If it's an older mobo, the chipset might not support a dual core processor, or may require a BIOS update for a dual core processor, you might want to check that out first.

EDIT: Of course if it needs a BIOS flash you're still outta luck without the cpu...

Posted 6 years ago

chouf
chouf

I checked and the Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 does support AMD X2 (For Socket 939 AMD Athlon™ 64X2, Athlon 64FX and Athlon 64 processors - see http://www.asrock.com/mb/overv.....TA2&s=)

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Here's a though, check your HDD and see if there are jumpers on it to switch from SATA to SATA II and then verify if you have the correct jumper setting on your mobo that match your HDD settings.

Posted 6 years ago

chouf
chouf

ok guys, I went back in my basement, diggged out an old Compaq AP200 and unscrewed the built-in speaker. I've connected it to my flying MB (http://www.servimg.com/image_p.....u=11937221) and I got some beeps at startups. The sequence is: two very short beeps (be-beeps), then 9 consecutive and identical beeps

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

2 Short Beeps: Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

9 Short Beeps: Your BIOS is bad. Reseat or Replace the BIOS.

Taken from http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml for AMI BIOS.

EDIT: The 9 beeps means your mobo BIOS chip is shot so the board will need to be replaced, so I would double check everything first (ie reseat your RAM and make sure it's in there good and tight) and see if you get those same errors.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!