The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

No pop out sidebar in windows 7?

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jdguitars
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2498 times

jdguitars

Since windows 98 and up to Vista I have been able to create a taskbar at the left side of the screen. By dragging the my computer icon on the desktop off the screen to the left a taskbar would pop out comtaining the contents of the my computer icon. I could also add the desktop to the panel. Then make the panel hide until bringing the mouse pointer to the left when it would pop out. I could then hide my desktop and have no icons on the desktop. I liked this feature very much but I can't make this happen in Windows 7. Is this feature completely gone or is there a way to have it back?

JD

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Did you unlock the taskbar before you were trying to move it? The "hide", you have to do in Properties.

Posted 4 years ago

jdguitars

whs,

Thank you for your reply. The taskbar that I am talking about is not the existing bar with the start menu but an entirely new task bar that is created by dragging an icon off the screen to the left, or to the right or top for that matter. If you have Vista or XP etc. installed try it. Make sure that desktop icons are showing and drag My Computer icon off the left of the screen and let it go. A panel will appear with the contents of My Computer on it. Doesn't work in Windows 7.

JD

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Yeah, unfortunately that does not work. It's like pushing a folder with shortcuts into the top of the screen. That does not work either in win7. I use that in Vista (also works in XP) and find it very handy.

Posted 4 years ago

jdguitars

I hope that there is some resolution. It also is a feature in KDE 3.x on Linux. KDE 4.x lost the feature and is the main reason I won't use KDE 4.x.

JD

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

well, you could use one of those docks ( http://www.webupd8.org/2009/05.....docks.html ). Rocket Dock is pretty popular and works with win7 (I tried it). But then I decided to use 2 extra toolbars - one for programs and one for folders. Works pretty well. Make a folder with shortcuts on the desktop, then right click on the toolbar and go to "Toolbars" > New Toolbar > then point to your folder with the shortcuts. And any time you want to add stuff, just drag it into the folder.

Posted 4 years ago

jdguitars

Thanks whs. I like the docks. I wish I could dock the window directly though.

JD

Posted 4 years ago

nitroxbs

I agree Rocket Dock all the way...
Surprised Microsoft havent stolen this!!!

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

I like the Vista dock better. Rocket dock makes me nerveous and has too many generic icons.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.