The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

No permission for localhost/install

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by littlejohn999
  • Latest reply from aspacelot
  • Topic Viewed 2564 times

littlejohn999

I followed you "how to" for installing newznab and all went well until I tried to log on to "localhost/install" were I got an error message telling me I did not have permission for "Install" what to do next?

Posted 1 year ago

aspacelot

make sure you didn't miss any of the chmod 777 steps.

Posted 1 year ago

littlejohn999

Redid the entire instal again just in case I missed something, so I guessing all was done correctly..

Posted 1 year ago

littlejohn999

is there a way to uninstall the whole thing and redo from scratch?

Posted 1 year ago

aspacelot

I figured it out. He left out the following:

sudo chown www-data /var/www/newznab/ -R

This sets the permissions, then I just did an Apache restart for good measure:

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

**edit** I forgot the -R on the chown

Posted 1 year ago

littlejohn999

thanks that's the fix

I still get 2 error messages one with the memory setting recommended 256mb and the time zone -5 is what I'm using isthat ok?

Posted 1 year ago

aspacelot

Yeah, I think it's ok. He mentions in the post that it warns you and it only warns you on initial setup.

Posted 1 year ago

littlejohn999

Well I'm still way deep in the woods. He suggest running a "update_releases" php file which at first I could not do because I did not have permission. I then logged as super user and was able to run the scritp. It returned an error message as follows "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocated 12288) in /var/www/newsnab/www/lib/release.php on line 110" the water is getting deep bubble bubble bubble...

Posted 1 year ago

aspacelot

from terminal type su and hit enter, this will put you in super user mode. you will then be able to follow the rest of the directions.

as far as memory goes- try editing your apache php.ini

sudo nano /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini

and find memory_limit and set it so

memory_limit = -1

If you configured it to be 256 apache might be running out of resources. Or you're just actually out of mem on your server.

----

My problem:
I followed step 3 from the newznab install

Next you will want to get the latest headers. This should be done from the command line, using the linux or windows shell scripts found in /misc/update_scripts/cron_scripts (or batch_scripts for windows users), as it can take some time. If this is your first time dont bother with the cron/init scripts just open a command prompt...
cd newznab/misc/update_scripts
php update_binaries.php

This went off without a hitch, but when i get to step 4:

After obtaining headers, the next step is to create releases. This is best done from the command line using the linux or windows shell scripts found in /misc/update_scripts/cron_scripts (or batch_scripts for windows users). If this is your first time dont bother with the cron/init scripts just open a command prompt...
cd newznab/misc/update_scripts
php update_releases.php

But it is unsuccessful. I get the following error:

Starting release update process (2012-12-21 20:08:02)
Error Regex File Does Not Exist or Unable to Connect

Can't seem to figure this out, so if you get to this point or figure out a workaround, let me know. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

aspacelot

NM, figured it out

If you're having trouble finding search results or getting the error mentioned above (Error Regex File Does Not Exist or Unable to Connect) you need add a regex.

You need to:
cd /tmp
wget https://raw.github.com/kop1/newznab/master/db/latestregex.sql
mysql -u USERNAME -p DATABASENAME < latestregex.sql

then

cd /var/www/newznab/misc/update_scripts
php update_releases.php

Posted 1 year ago

aspacelot

Also, something I noticed... your working directory was /var/www/newsnab/www/lib/release.php

It'd probably be a lot easier for you to use newznab instead of newsnab with an s beacuse you'll have to manually go in and change your working scrip directories to newS instead of Z. just seems like that would be a real PITA to me.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!