The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - No IP4 in Windows 7

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by ehw
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 2813 times

ehw

The computer is a year old, it's running Win7 SP1 64bit and the connection to the internet has suddenly stopped working. On investigating I found that in the adaptor setting the tab for Internet Protocol Version 4 is greyed out. IP6 is available but it tells me that I need to install a network adaptor. To the best of my knowledge I have never used IP6. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the network adaptor, I've disabled and re-enabled it. I've run cmd.exe as an administrator and I've tried:-
netsh interface ipv4 install
netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /flushdns

None of this has done any good, the IP4 properties are still greyed out and I'm at a loss to know what to try next as the computer (HP) only offers to restore it to it's original state with the loss of everything on it. ANy constructive help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

ehw, hi and welcome.
ipv 6 is only available if your ISP supports it, few do at the moment.
Disable ipv 6 and see what happens.
Have you tried system restore? BTW
Is the problem the same when ethernet connected or wireless?

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

ehw

I'd already done that by taking the tick out of the IP6 box, it made no difference, however, THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED.

I opened cmd.exe as an administrator and ran SFC /scannow
It took about 5 mins, said it had found corrupt files and repaired them and produced a VERY long log file. I rebooted the computer and lo and behold the IP4 properties tab is back. I hope that others benefit from this experience. Thanks for replying Mike.

BTW - I did do a system restore, it made no difference. I then found that I couldn't go further back as all the other restore points had disappeared. The computer's not mine, when I got it I ran Superantispyware and found one file, trojandropper...... That could have been the root cause of the problem.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

And ehw thanks for posting back with your resolve. Excellent.
scannow is like watching the wrong colour of paint dry, but it works!

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!