The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - No HDMI sound

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by massey125
  • Latest reply from massey125
  • Topic Viewed 543 times

massey125

I was getting sound with no problem. Now for some reason when I try to use my tv to watch a movie from my computer there is no sound. I have gone into my Control Panel and check the audio and there is only realtek speakers. Am I missing something? How do I fix this?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Are you hooked up HDMI to HDMI, or is there a converter of some sort in the line?

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Desktop / Laptop ?

Make and Model of PC, have you changed any settings on the tv, is it by chance a samsung?

Posted 1 year ago

massey125

Thanks for replying. I am going from a ASUS notebook to a LG tv. Something has changed but am not sure where.

Posted 1 year ago

massey125

I still need help. By the way, I am running winows 7 on my laptop.

Posted 1 year ago

massey125

I guess I blew that...I am on the xp board...my pc is xp so that is what caused the confusion here....sorry.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

I do not think the HDMI output actually has audio. I could be wrong if Windows 7 is your OS. That output may be intended for HDMI monitors. If my suspicion is correct you may need to run a line from the audio-out or headphone out on the notebook to an amplifier or a set of speakers (amped). Your tv may not be able to use the HDMI as a video input while also pulling audio from a different input. If you view the HDMI output like the old VGA outputs on laptops, you can see the analogy. Another analogy, the HDMI output of most desktop graphics cards do not provide audio even though the HDMI format has high quality audio capacities.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Moved to W7 forum.

Posted 1 year ago

massey125

I was getting sound through the HDMI before but have lost it. I am presently using the audio output but it is getting pretty messy with all the wires.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Can you try another cable ?

Posted 1 year ago

massey125

Thanks for the suggestion lighthouse but it doesn't work on another cable either.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

massey125, try right clicking the volume icon on the taskbar, click playback devices, then select the HDMI option which is there now and set as default.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

massey125

Thanks ronniesonora. The HDMI was disabled, so right clicking gave me the option to activate it and set as default. Thanks a bunch to all who tried to help.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.