The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - No dr letter

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dandeedan4u4
  • Latest reply from dandeedan4u4
  • Topic Viewed 996 times

dandeedan4u4

http://www.howtogeek.com/ Hey: Well I hope this right!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Hey:
Going by the picture above, mine looks like pretty much the same. Your disk 0 above shows 4 sections/partitions totaling 232.83 gb and is designated (c:) and my disk 0 holds 465.76gb and is designated (C:)

You are wrong there. His Disk 0 has 4 partitions, the first and third are not used, the second is Drive F: and the fourth is Drive G: His Disk 2 is the C: drive. Each partition has to have a drive letter to be useful. Look carefully and you will see the drive letters in each partition.

Please reread the instructions provided above for posting a picture. They are very carefully and clearly written. It will be much easier to provide help if you will do that.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

@Xhi, It's Disk not Dusk :)
@dandeedan4u4, It can't be like the picture above as I mentioned all the partitions "Must have a drive letter assigned" unless it states unallocated space. If that is the case then you need to partition and format each partition before assigning a drive letter.

Posted 1 year ago

dandeedan4u4

Hey: tks to all. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say I need to partition and format each partition in order to assign it a drive letter, but the problem is I can't bring up the drive. I can only see it using the disk management screen. All I see is the 4 mt partitions with no dr letter . All I see when I go to my computer is local disk (C:) and normally a recovery partition (D:) but instead of a recovery partition I see a icon w/ BD-Rom drive (D:) and absolutely nothing else. " No box to indicate any data space used."

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Download this free partition utility. Scroll down to the btm of the page for the free Bootable version. There is also a good tutorial on the left side of the main screen.You will have to burn to a Cd then change your boot order so your optical device is your first boot order. Unce PW is started you will be able to see everything and make the necessary changes.
http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Posted 1 year ago

dandeedan4u4

? can these disks be partitioned /formatted within disk management Just saw your next addon. I'll try this tks/

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Yes disk management can do all the you need to do but PW might be a little easier

Posted 1 year ago

dandeedan4u4

Hey Guys: Well I've tried a couple of different Image hosting programs and I seem to get (no decode delegate for this image format) so I think I'm either trying to download the wrong image,or the image is not correct,or it's the right image but wrong area, i/e upload or download / image versus url choice. I did make a bootable disk booted to PW and read through the help menu. I was impressed with the site. I'm thinking that I should resize these partitions first though before I try to assign a drive letter or does it matter. I eventually want to end up with just one large partition that will start w/autoplay. Any suggestions as to what I should do first. All you guys are great with all the help. It's just that this is all a new learning experience. TKS Dan

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

That's your call on the partition size and quantity. When you make your partition / partitions you then have to format each and then assign a drive letter.
Have you tried Macrium for imaging your making your image.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

dandeedan4u4

Hey Guys: Problem solved. Downloaded Macrium Reflex and 7's disk management. Was able to create just 1 large partition and it assign the drive letter E: Thanks to all of you for the great insight and all the new programs I was able to try out. This problem was beneficial in many ways. Kudo's to all!!! TKS Dandeedan4u4. Partition Wizard was also a great experience to add to my knowledge bank

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.