The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - No cd drive. bootmsing error

(11 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by JasonSauce
  • Latest reply from JasonSauce
  • Topic Viewed 969 times

JasonSauce

I have a new PC without a CD/DVD drive in it. I managed to get windows7 installed on my new SSD from my USB EHD. Everything seemed to go smooth until I took out my older SSD, and tried to boot windows. I got the Bootmgr missing error. So checked the bios, and everything seemed in order. I then plugged the older SSD back in and it booted without a problem. I think what happened is the new install put the boot files on the older SSD.

I needed help on how to get either those files, or new ones installed on my main SSD, so can remove the old on and no get the bootmgr missing error.. But I can't use a CD, cause I don't have a cd from drive.. Just the img of windows 7..

Thanks

Jason

Posted 2 years ago

volcy

If it's a fresh install - why not just take out the old SSD and re-install windows from your flash drive?

Posted 2 years ago

JasonSauce

How would I get the img to boot without being loaded into windows? That was a thought, then I thought, how the heck do I start the process lol.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

JasonSauce,
Did you have Win7 installed on your old SSD?
Where is your image stored?
What files are you referring to?
These answers will be helpful

Posted 2 years ago

JasonSauce

Did you have Win7 installed on your old SSD? Yes I did.. It was running when I installed the new copy on the new SSD
Where is your image stored? It is currently stored on my external hard drive
What files are you referring to? the boot.ini file.. that is the one that is standing out to me so the PC itself can boot.
These answers will be helpful

Posted 2 years ago

volcy

If you have Windows 7 on your external hard drive and it's bootable - you should be able to boot from it and run it like the CD, no? You can then just re-format and re-install on your new SSD.

Posted 2 years ago

JasonSauce

If you have Windows 7 on your external hard drive and it's bootable - you should be able to boot from it and run it like the CD, no? You can then just re-format and re-install on your new SSD.

Unfortunately the drive is NOT bootable.. I just used a ISO app to make a virtual drive and install within windows7.

Posted 2 years ago

Ruja

With Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool you can make a bootable USB with a Windows 7 ISO image.

Download and instructions: http://www.microsoftstore.com/.....vd_dwnTool

To get an original, official Windows 7 with SP1 ISO image: http://forums.mydigitallife.in.....post470600

Once you have this, insert your bootable Windows 7 Install USB and boot from it. Select "Repair your computer". Click "next" and open a command prompt. Then do this:

Change directory to w:\boot, where W: is your Windows 7 Install USB:

cd /d w:\
cd boot

Run BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 C: , where C: is your System partition.

Then run:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Finally, make sure your C: partition is active:

Type "diskpart"
In Diskpart, type "list disks" or "list disk", can't remember which one is right.
Type "select disk 0" where 0 represents the number of your hard drive.
Type "list partitions" or "list partition", can't remember which one is right.
Type "select partition 1" where 1 represents the partition where you have Windows installed.
Type "active"
Type "exit", then "exit" again and restart to see if it works now.

Posted 2 years ago

volcy

I see - then you need to grab a flash drive at least 4GB pref 8GB and format it to NTFS then, create a bootable flashdrive for Win7. There are lots of guides on how to do this. Once that's done you should be able to install Win7 for reals...without a CD.

Edit: WintoFlash is one I used to do this.
Edit2: And here is a guide I used to achieve this; http://maketecheasier.com/upda.....2009/09/12

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Your best bet if you don't have a bootable installation disk is remove your old SSD, Recover your image on your new SSD. The only problem is the geometry of your new SSD. If you had a bootable Partition Wizard you can partition and format your new SSD and eliminate that nasty 100mb partition holding your boot files.
http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html
This is a free utility and you can install on a bootable USB stick

Posted 2 years ago

JasonSauce

Ty for the help and very fast responses everyone! I took a little break after I found a thumb I could put win7 on.. Got everything up and running, and now I have a permanent solution for installing windows on my rig..

Jason

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.