The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Next Dumb Question...

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by LadyFitzgerald
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 627 times

LadyFitzgerald

...while I'm still on a roll. I bought a bunch of SATA III cables for my next desktop. These were the only ones that would keep the cables out of the way of a graphics card in the tight case I'm using (Antec Two Hundred v2), something they will do well. One minor annoyance is the almost bright red color since the rest of my cables are either black or sleeved black or dark bronze; I find that red rather annoying. I thought about sleeving them but 1/8" is too small and 1/4" is a bit oversized and looks too bulky.

I have a PCI slotcover with two USB 2.0 ports mounted to it with a pair of cables leading to two USB header connectors (very similar to this). The gray body and cables bugged me for the same reason so I removed the connectors from the slot cover and took a black permanent felt marking pen to the connector bodies and cable sleeves. The results look surprisingly good. I was wondering if I could do the same to the red on the SATA cables. I know they can be pretty touchy to sharp bends, which suggests they might be more delicate than the USB cables I recolored, and I didn't know if the solvents (smells like xylene) in the marking pen ink would mess up the insulation.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Shirley, you jest. Only a woman would try to color coordinate the unseen cables inside a dusty computer.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927324 New dumb answer.

Posted 2 years ago

Drizzle

Shirley????? Jeannie ?????? confoosed:):)

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

ROFLMAO!

@ Xhi. You may not be able to see inside my 'puters and no one else may ever see inside but I know what's in there. And I keep them clean (my house is another story). Btw, would you like links to sites full of guys who color coordinate their cables? ;)

@ warlock. Ohh-kaay, the MSD tells of all kinds of dire dangers to my carcass but nothing about what it may do to my cables. Btw, when I did the USB cables, I did it in a well ventilated room. No headache, no buzz, no nothing.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Shirley, I won't tell my wife. She is liable to try the same on her laptops.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.