The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - newsgroups and windows 7

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by stickus
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 18335 times

stickus

How do I access newsgroups on windows 7 now that outlook express and windows mail are no longer available? Is it possible through windows live mail?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

stickus,
I guess the best way is go on Google.
Don't know why MS didn't put a Mail Client in Win7 but it is a "hassle" without one that's for sure.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

stickus, Windows 7 does not come pre-loaded with a bunch of Microsoft tools that not everyone needs. You, and everyone else, have the option to download any or all of the "usual" tools with Windows Live Essentials. Get yourself a copy of Windows Live Mail -- and any of the other available tools that you want -- and you will have your MS e-mail and newsgroup client in Win7.

I think that a lot of advanced users who don't use all of the bundled tools will appreciate that they are not installed automatically. In Vista, you can't *uninstall* Windows Mail, Movie Maker, and the other bundled software, at least not easily. Folks who don't use these tools are stuck with them anyway.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@ScottW,
---
Know about all the net stuff but was trying to stay away from that.
---
I used Win Mail in the beta but it was like using on-line mail.
---
Do you know of any on-machine free mail client software which will integrate into Win7 ????
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Rick, Windows Live Mail is *not* a webmail site, but a mail client application that must be installed in Windows to use. It is the successor to the Windows Mail that is built-in to Vista. Follow the link above and see for yourself. All of the applications in the Windows Live Essential suite are free applications that you install on machine and run from there. BTW, in Win7 RC, go to Start -> Getting Started and there is a "Get Windows Live Essentials". It just loads the webpage linked above, but it's there to help new users find the apps that they have the option to install.

Confusingly, Microsoft's webmail client is called Windows Live Hotmail.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Thanks for the computer lesson. (LOL) (LOL)

Posted 5 years ago

stickus

Thanks for the advice ScottW. Have installed windows Live mail etc. Through windows live help it gives instructions on how to set up newsgroups. Unfortunately the required button (Tools - Accounts) in the menubar is not there. Whether this is because this is not the actual release version of Windows 7 I'm not sure. Any further help would be appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

stickus, click the "Newsgroups" task on the left side of the window. This will show a link that says, "Add newsgroup account". That is where you can enter information on your news server, account name & password, and so on.

Microsoft has started hiding the classic menu bar in new applications. To see the classic menu bar, tap the Alt key. Some applications will allow you to keep the classic menu bar showing at all times with an option, setting, or toggle in the View menu.

Posted 5 years ago

stickus

This task option does not appear on my screen. I have been told by a contact in the business that this is a clitch which will be resolved when win7 is finally released.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

I have Windows 7 RC, build 7100, running Windows Live Mail, version 2009 (build 14.0.8064.0206) and it works for me. There is no glitch.

In WL Mail, there is a Go menu on the classic menu bar (Alt+G) where you can select Newsgroups, Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Feeds. Do you see this menu? The keyboard shortcut to Newsgroups Ctrl+Shift+L -- try that as well.

Posted 5 years ago

stickus

Sorry not all those choices are there on my go menu. I have whats new, profile, Mail, photos, calendar & share.
Pressing Alt + G travels 'home isp'. pressing Ctrl+shift+L does nothing. I have also made windows live mail default for newsgroups but that also changes nothing. Looks like it just won't work on my machinePat present).

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

It feels like we are not talking about the same application. What do you see in the Help -> About? I get:

Posted 5 years ago

stickus

Hi ScottW,
You are correct,it appears when signing up for windows live it automatically installed windows live mail (Hotmail).
I was given no information that it had done this! I have now been able to download and install windows live Mail and have been able to set up newsgroups without a problem. I don't know why I was not given the choice when I installed windows live although this was done via windows update after installing win7.
Many Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

stickus, great news! I'm glad you have your newsgroups now.

The names of the Windows Live (WL) components are certainly confusing. There is WL ID (single sign-on), WL Essentials (application suite), WL Hotmail (web-based e-mail), WL Mail (e-mail client application) and so on. They should publish a map showing how to navigate through this mess! :O

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.