The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

newly build comp not installing windows 7

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by agibbs
  • Latest reply from mickeyblue
  • Topic Viewed 583 times

agibbs

I have just build a brand new computer from the case up. This is not the first computer i have build so lets just assume all the parts work together, i will post a list of parts later if need be. In trying to install windows 7 professional edition 32 bit, i inserted the dvd and followed the install windows 7 instructions. during the step where the option to create a new partition for the os the program created the partition and continued to a screen that said install windows copying windows files (0%). after several minutes the instillation program threw an error: Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. the error occured while preparing the partition selected for installation. error code: 0x80070057
please help me resolve this isssue

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Hi agibbs, I just finished a new system last week. When the Win7 option about a partition popped up I just said no. I didn't want to create a new partition. From a couple of things I have read some say don't create another partition. Install went well. After the install was complete I installed a partition manager and created another partition. I figured if I made a bad choice during setup I could start over. Hope this helps

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

agibbs

all right thanks i will try that out. thanks for responding on Christmas we are just trying to get the new present working for a happy Christmas

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

take the hard drive out that you want to install the OS onto, plug it into another PC and see if you can create a partition and format it, if this can not be done and you get errors then i think the HD is DOA!!! send it in for RMA.
can you list some specs for interest sake, maybe something is not completely compatible.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

I agree with mickeyblue about getting things DOA. I would think if the drive was in fact DOA you should have gotten a hdd error when booting or when win7 first started up. Not to say that isn't DOA but hate to spoil anyones Christmas

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

true true, first try the option of not creating a partition. its most likely something small like that, these days not many HD's arrive DOA.
a dead HD will indeed spoil the festivities. you can always check the system health in the BIOS, depending on your motherboard.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.