SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

New York City Marathon Cancelled. To Be Rescheduled.

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 478 times

Straspey
Straspey

From The New York Times, a few hours ago:

After Days of Pressure, Marathon Is Off

After days of intensifying pressure from runners, politicians and the general public to call off the New York City Marathon in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, city officials and the event’s organizers decided Friday afternoon to cancel the race.

The move was historic — the marathon has taken place every year since 1970, including the race in 2001 held two months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks — but seemed inevitable as opposition to the marathon swelled.

Critics said that it would be in poor taste to hold a foot race through the five boroughs while so many people in the area were still suffering from the storm’s damage, and that city services should focus on storm relief, not the marathon.

Proponents of the race — notably Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Mary Wittenberg, director of the marathon — said the event would provide a needed morale boost, as well as an economic one.

Read the full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11.....ay.html?hp

Posted 1 year ago

Scott
Scott

What a terrible conundrum but sad no matter what
decision had been made. Hope you're holding up okay.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

Scott -

Thanks for your kind thoughts and concern. As I mentioned, we were extremely fortunate and sustained almost no damage at all - certainly no more than one would expect from a standard nor'easter. We had what one would call a "normal" rainfall, with some higher-than-usual winds, resulting in some downed branches (no trees or power lines), a few shingles blown off the roof (but no leaks or real structural damage) and lots of leaves - which took me two days to rake, sweep and put into bags.

As far as the Marathon is concerned, I think it was the absolute right decision to cancel it.

I'm not sure how old you are - but I was twelve years old on Friday November 22, 1963, the day President Kennedy was assassinated. Two days later, Sunday November 24th - while the entire country was frozen and in the midst of an extended 72-hour, non-stop moment of shock, horror, panic and grief - Pete Rozelle, the Commissioner of the National Football League (American football), made the decision to go ahead with the full Sunday schedule of NFL games - even though none of them were televised due to the news coverage. The AFL (before the merger) suspended all their games.

Years later, Pete Rozelle would say that going ahead with games was the biggest mistake, and biggest regret of his career.

Similarly - in my opinion - had they gone ahead with the Marathon, the result would have been a political and public relations nightmare - which would have left a stain on some "VIPs" (both in and out of government) that would have taken years to wash away - if ever.

Yes there are people who may be bitterly disappointed.

But there are also tens of thousands of people - like my landlord - who's house was flooded with sewage and now sits under a four-foot layer of sand and mud; his cars destroyed and his life - along with those of his wife, two children and pets, may never be the same - and it will be months, if not years, before he will be able to return to his home and community.

Yes, life must go on. But you don't go on with a sporting event which basically consists of 25,000 individuals who are only interested in their own results - which runs through an area where the bodies of two young boys were found two days after they were swept from their mother's arms in the rushing waters as she desperately tried to save them.

Finally - I hope you, your family, friends and loved ones have fared well and are in good health and spirits.

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

@Howard ...agree.
Amazing but wonderful,you escaped the worst...
As you say the cleanup will take for ever,especially at this time of year, the mental scars unfortunately will take even longer and remain forever.(my thoughts and prayers are with these, people).

What is it with society today?? Gimmee Gimmee, take take, I want I want NOW!!! Grrr!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It shows how difficult it is to get back to normal. I guess initially they were more optimistic. Too bad though for the people that spent a lot of money and trouble to get there (e.g. from Europe). They should have known earlier.

But at the end it was a wise decision. Just imaging the people of Staten Island when they would have had to block the Verrizano bridge for hours. They would have been stuck.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It is the middle to lower end competitors I feel sorry for.

Posted 1 year ago

moreeg
moreeg

@LH - Don't feel sorry for them. I'll bet that what they end up doing will be far more fulfilling and useful than running for no apparent purpose.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I know quite a few amateurs that trained hard to a schedule so it all arrived on the day. Hopefully the sponsor money they were going to raise, will still be forthcoming, whichever way it all transpires.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.