The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - New Win 8 comp queries

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Wasroberto1
  • Latest reply from Wasroberto1
  • Topic Viewed 553 times

Wasroberto1

Just playing with new laptop (Lenovo G780) and slowly finding my way around Win 8.
I have (so far) 2 worrying queries.Firstly, machine came with MacAfee AV pre-installed. Win 8 is already equipped with windows defender but there seems to be no clash between the two AV progs. What gives?
Secondly. Ran Windows update (as prompted by system) and 35 updates were downloaded and installed. I then got Restart/Configuring Windows Updates/failure configuring windows updates/Reverting changes/restart, and system went back to start page with no further mention of updating. This whole procedure happened three times.Any ideas please?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

I've turned off Win Defender, Norton does a better job anyway. Can do it via Defender or the Action Center.

I had some updates fail too, repeatedly. I googled the KB update number and found many had the same problem, so I hid it to stop what you are seeing.

What is the Update(s) that are failing, posting those numbers would help here.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

I had the same problem. Tried to fix it. Finally decided to reload the OS. Never got around to it. Problem eventually cured itself.

Personally I like Windows Defender and would recommend you remove McAfee and start Defender before McAfee charges you an arm or leg and slows down what is a fast computer.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Wasroberto1

Some of the nos. KB2753842, 2777294, 2807986, 2811660, 2769034, 2779562, 2768703, 2781197, 2794599, 2812822, 2769165 plus a number of security updates etc.
The reconfiguring gets up to 15% and then fails. When I get a little more time I'll try installing one manually and see what happens.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

To remove McAfee, you MUST use the MPCR.exe, else you get problems. http://mcafee-removal-tool.com/

Posted 1 year ago

Wasroberto1

Well, I tried a single update and that went OK, but if I have to do that for all of them I'll be busy all week :( Perhaps I'll try a few a day.

@Xhi . I agree 100%. I had McAfee on my old desktop and had to get rid of it - it caused more trouble than it was worth.

@whs. Thanks for the link. That will save a lot of time.

Posted 1 year ago

Wasroberto1

Just an update which might be of interest. Suddenly the updates started going smoothly and all are now installed. Strangely this happened shortly after I uninstalled McAfee - but that might pure coincidence of course!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.