How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

New "Wiki Discussion" Forum

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2743 times

thegeek
The Geek

I've created a new forum that will be used for discussion of topics related to the Wiki. For the time being, I'll leave these posts in the front page, but eventually might move them to only the sub-forum like the off-topic does.

I also removed the reader contributions forum, since it was barely used... all those threads were moved into Geek Stuff instead.

[edit] I also renamed the XP forum to be simply "Windows XP" instead of "Windows XP/2k/2k3", which was somewhat confusing. I figure most people only are asking about XP or Vista, no reason to include the others in the title.

I also renamed Suggestions to "Site Suggestions" instead, which might limit the number of threads put into that forum accidentally.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Made a few other changes... moved the forum list/views to the right side for easier access, and changed the front page and forum/view pages to show 30 topics in the list instead of 20, which should make it more easy to find recent posts.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I like those last changes. Makes life a little easier.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I like those changes too. I actully had the same idea about showing more topics and putting a copy of the forum list on the right, I just didn't get around to suggesting them.
I see there is also a new wiki home page and new wiki page rich text editor.
Also I have one idea at the moment, add a sandbox like the wikipedia one at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sandbox so people can test the wiki markup.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I think a sandbox makes a lot of sense.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Nice one Geek, although cab we have all the topics on the right side on every page? ie on the page i write on now

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@aleeve there are already the quick links to all of the pages so in my opinion i don't really think that those would be nessisary to have. but i did think of that too.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

There's not really enough space to have a topic list on this page, though.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya that is what i thought too when i first though of it then i remembered that there were already the quick links which are pretty close to the same thing any ways

Posted 5 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

A topic list would be pretty cool, but the Geeks right, theres nowhere near enough room for a topic list on this page

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

What's wrong with the "Quick Links". I think some guys have not discovered that yet. That's something you guys have to click on - it won't open by itself. I think it's great and completely sufficient. Else, I agree, those last changes are for the better - one step at a time.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!