SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

New TV, lacking correct ports for speakers. Help?

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Lawnch
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 272 times

Lawnch

Hello everyone,

Hi, new guy here. Been reading htg for years now, but never posted anything here. I've recently ran into an issue, so am hoping I might be able to get some help, as no one in the small town I live in can understand what it is I'm actually talking about.

For Christmas this year my girlfriend and I were given a new tv. Extremely unexpected, but very grateful. Anyway, this new TV is a no brand tv (AWA - made for big W (similar shop to target)) is wonderfully huge and HD etc, but unfortunately is a bit lacking in the port area. As a decent console gamer and movie watcher, it makes it quite difficult when there aren't enough ports for these things.

ANYWAY, the problem isn't so much that I can't plug all in (I've worked around with splitters and such), the problem is my speakers. I own a set of Logitech Z5500 speakers, perfect for the living room, love them - but the TV has no ports for sound. I used to connect them to my old tv using the digital coax port, which this TV is lacking. The speakers also have direct 5.1ch sound as well as optical sound.

I don't actually watch any tv per say (any TV I watch is through my Apple TV which has a digital port for sound so that's all good) but for my other devices it makes it hard. I have an Xbox 360 (currently just move the optical sound plug between the Apple TV and it, so that's not as much of a problem), a PS2, a wii, a N64 and soon to be ouya connected to this TV.

There have been two solutions to my problems so far - I've connected my devices and my speakers up to the new TV (via av in cables and coax respectively) then hooked the old tv up to the new tv through av cords. It works, but I don't really want to be having the old tv just sitting there in front of the new one, what's the point? Also, in my searches I came across an old but I'm pretty sure expensive DVD player that has av in, av out and coax audio plugs, but, unfortunately, it won't turn on (massive letdown, was so close!)

I'm wondering if there is any kind of "middle device" in existence that I could hook everything up to, then hook that in to the TV, so that I could use my speakers with my other devices? Or even just a way of getting power to the circuit board of my DVD player so I could use it to route through the devices and speakers to the TV?

Any help would be massively appreciated, this has been a nightmare ever since I set the TV up >.<

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section, had no real idea where it should go >.<

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....2&y=19 You seem to know what your doing as far as connections. See if something on this site might fill your needs. Not necessarily on this linked page but, search the site.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Recent problem I had with doing the same but with PC solved using this; http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A.....B0049P6OTI

I am very happy with it ( I had UK version ) ( and I work in the music industry )

I needed to drive from the headphone socket as source and just used this; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aptii-.....#38;sr=8-1

So if you have headphone out, this might be the way to go

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!