The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

New Toys.

(28 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LadyFitzgerald
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 809 times

LadyFitzgerald

My microwave was either a puka or it was possessed by leprechauns (it would actually start by itself and the "brain" would get scrambled every so often) so I broke down and got a new one today.

The real toy was the UPS I picked up from my mail service later in the day. It's a little thing; only weighs 66 lb. (had to get help loading and unloading it from my truck).

http://media.toolking.com/cata.....VE_UPS.jpg

Gee, I hope it's not too small.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thats impressive. Using it for the whole neighborhood:)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I didn't think a 150 could haul something like that ??

You got 20 Amp breaker, line and receptacle off the main ??

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Equipment Guarantee of $350,000. Is that enough?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Not unusual for microwave ovens to start up by themselves. That is why you should always unplug them when not in use. The have caused many a house fire.
Tis probably initiated by a spike in the mains.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@LH, Never heard that but, clock would need reset each time. Too much trouble just to make popcorn:)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Who ever uses the clock ?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

People that still work and need to leave on time.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

On ours, the Time Display burned out around 4 years ago but the cooking timer and buttons still work fine.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Who eats popcorn before they go to work ?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I really do use the clock. Light inside quit working years ago. But that's okay I know what I put in there.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

The microwave was fifteen years old. It worked great until it started misbehaving a couple of years ago. Every once in a blue moon, the control panel went nuts and wouldn't respond to key presses and kept throwing error codes or displaying oddball messages. The brain scrambling gradually became more frequent and it would take longer for it to unscramble. Then it started turning itself on. That's when I started unplugging the possessed beast since it would release a little of the built-in smoke every time it did it and they only put ony so much of the stuff in there when they build them. Finding replacement smoke on a machine that old would be challenging. I can't complain about the amount of service I got out of it. The light was working well. I never could figure out how to set the stupid clock.

@ Rick. The UPS requires a dedicated 20A outlet which I installed last week. Since I live in a mobile home, all I had to do was pull back the bottom of the siding between the breaker panel and the outlet to route the Romex. It should have been an easy job but it took me over twenty minutes to get the ground wire to go into the ground bar in the breaker box. The shoe that clamps down on the ground wires when the set screw is screwed in was stuck. I finally got it in with a bit of sweat, ingenuity, and a slightly...er..."enhanced" vocabulary. The neutral and hot wire were easy. Weird. I'm still worried if the unit will be big enough. ;)

And don't be knocking Saoirse (my "little" F150)! If she can haul my ample...ah...asset, she can haul almost anything.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@LH, Got me on the who eats popcorn before work. Wife and I still laughing.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

What's so funny about eating popcorn before work. I've never been one who limited herself to only certain kinds of foods at certain times of day. It used to really torque me off when I was working graveyard and wanted to get supper after work and restaurants were only serving breakfast. Reheated pizza, the breakfast of champions! I often eat oatmeal for supper if it's getting close to bedtime and I'm not all that hungry at the time. I don't dare skip supper for fear I might dream of eating a giant marshmallow and wake up to find my pillow missing. At least I don't dream I'm a goose laying golden eggs.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LF,

OK, just wanted to ensure you were within electrical code.
==
Still think you oughta geta front winch and liquid sealer in them tires for off-road.

You know my Member Profile... (LOL) (LOL) :) ;)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Wench ? We haven't had them since medieval times :)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, 12000 - 13000 LB draw bar pull w/ woven steel rope cable, tis good .. Ya ? :)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LOL, nice post edit. My mate who is doing a round the world trip, even has a winch on his bike.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ LH. Actually, I actually am an official (albeit inactive) W.E.N.C.H (Woman Entitled to Nothing but Complete Happiness) of the International Wenches Guild. Have a picture of the winch on the bike?

@ Rick. Now, prithee, of what use wouldst a winch be unto me own self (though I know well what to do with a wench)? Saoirse do be a Lady, not a mud grubbing peasant.

Yea verily, I do be within code.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LF, I don't think I do, but will email him.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!