How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

New PC Build - Component Advice.

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by nickthomas365
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1566 times

nickthomas365

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure I've researched this fully - i just want to post a list and check compatability/thoughts with everyone here.

New Machine build - all prices from e-buyer.co.uk

Antec Sonata III Piano Black Quiet Mid Tower Case - With 500W EarthWatts PSU - £99.99

Intel DQ35JO iQ35 Socket 775 onboard VGA 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard £122.46

CPU –Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor £127.95

Memory – Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-18) Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty – £57.51

Hard-Drive - Samsung HD502IJ SpinPoint F1 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache – OEM - £42.29

Hard-Drive 2 - Maxtor STM3250310AS 250GB SATAII 8MB Cache – OEM – £27.90

Optical Drive - Samsung SH-S223F 22X DVD?RW/RAM/DL Serial ATA Black Bare Drive - OEM £15.98

HSF Cooler – Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro £15.98,

GPU - Palit 9500GT 1GB DDR2 VGA DVI HDMI PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card - £48.99

Front case fan - Hiper 120mm HiperFlow Chrome Blade Case Fan With Blue LED - 3pin Adaptor with Screws £7.02,

OS - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 - Complete package - 1 user - CD – English – £180.95

APC Performance SurgeArrest 8 outlets with Phone, Coax & Network Protection 230V UK £31.28

Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound – £4.42

Hiyatek Black Flip LCD Screen 52-in-1 Card Reader With E-SATA - 5.25" Bay - £17.61

***Questions***

That Case/PSU isn't as i orgionally spec'd - will that power supply still work? (It's my little treat - taking me over budget :S)

The Motherboard - does that come with built-in graphics (If so, can i still fit the Palit 9500 GT?) Sorry, the info on the e-buyer website is a bit naff.

All in all - im pretty happy with this spec - any advice or thoughts would be great.

Many Thanks,

Nick.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Nick,

What is your absolute "Never to Exceed" Budget ????

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

nickthomas365

Hi Raph,

Well £750 was my origional budget - can't really push it any further than it is now - unless i live on beans and rice for the next month or 2! :D

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Nick,

Believe me, as I understand.

The problem is you are building an OUTDATED machine.

Core i7 1366 CPUs and associated MBs are the current standard but are more expensive.

The older Socket 775 CPUs are yesteryear components.

Really dislike to give folks advice concerning Builds which I know to be obsolete.

Feel like I'm doing them a dis-service.

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

nickthomas365

Hi Rick,

Thanks for looking into it so deeply for me - been to plenty of board that simply say "Yup - looks good. Have fun"

The problem we have regarding I7, vista and newer features is that this machine is being built as an intrim music production computer and the manufacturers of music tech are notoriously slow to bring updates / patches and fixes to the table. Plus, given the fickel nature of the way the industry works (and the obvious profit margins involved) once a product has been launched, except in the case of much bigger companies that can afford it, updates for newer components and systems are rare - meaning that vintage or "slightly out-dated" software and plug-ins are unusable. Believe me, i would love to utilise Vista 64bit for recording - however very few programmes (mainly the big boys) can support it. In my experince, the updating just isn't worth the hassle! There's nothing worse than hitting a session and getting errors with clients in the room!

With this spec - i have tried to get the best out of what can be used - if you follow me. I'm not even sure if i can utilise the 4g ram with the 64bit XP pro, as one of our programmes has no support for 64bit and have been advised against using the 64bit/32 bit counterbalance as it can cause problems with this peice of software.

Sorry im being a pain in the arse - any help you can give would be brilliant, im really grateful.

Essentially, we need as much ram as possible to ensure the system avoids latency issues! The rest is changeable.

Nick.

Posted 5 years ago

nickthomas365

Plus - forgot to mention - Our current version of Cubase doesn't recognise or seem to work with the Hyperthreading technology that Windows introduced Post Vista - so the I7 processors would be useless to us without buying new software.

No BS ;) im telling the truth XD
http://knowledgebase.steinberg.de/71_1.html

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Nick,

Since you are constrained by your business software, suggest Downloading X58 Motherboard Manuals, Reading them to see if CPU Hyper threading feature can be turned off in Bios Settings. That could give you i7 1366 CPU choice for a better Build.

Some X58 Motherboards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....der=RATING

A 32Bit O/S will only support (4) Gigs of memory due to addressing limit.

Suggest using 32Bit XP Professional Edition instead of XP Home Edition as you specified.

Not sure why HDs do not EXACTLY match??

Antec Enclosure is very good choice. Order case and +80% PSU from http://www.antec.com

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

nickthomas365

Hi Rick - well surping to me, ive been informed that i can actually use the new generation of processors. Many other cubase users are running a rig including the i7 and related equipment with no flaws!
So, with that in mind - (and bugger the budget :D) - how does this spec look?
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R iX58 Socket 1366 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - £180.03
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - £255.25
OCZ 4GB KIT (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz PC3 12800 GOLD SERIES DUAL CHANNEL KIT - £154.99
Antec Sonata III Piano Black Quiet Mid Tower Case - With 500W EarthWatts PSU - £99.99
Hard-Drive - Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATAII Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB Cache – OEM – 77.25
Seagate ST3250310AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache – OEM - £36.77
Optical Drive - Samsung SH-S223F 22X DVD?RW/RAM/DL Serial ATA Black Bare Drive - OEM £15.98
HSF Cooler – Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro £15.98,
Front case fan - Hiper 120mm HiperFlow Chrome Blade Case Fan With Blue LED - 3pin Adaptor with Screws £7.02,
Graphics - Sapphire HD 4650 512MB with 1GB HyperMemory GDDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - £57.90
OS - With Vista Home Premium - £88.03
Other -
APC Performance SurgeArrest 8 outlets with Phone, Coax & Network Protection 230V UK £31.28
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound – £4.42

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Nick,

OK !! Now you are going in the right direction. :) :)

1. If you like the Gigabyte MB better than the Asus models, that's OK. I just personally prefer Asus because I've used them for so many Builds and years.

2. Suggest EXACTED MATCHED WD 32 Cache HDs. Seagate's have a (HIGH) failure rate which they are working on. Generation 11 is a NO-GO.
MB supports Raid I think so for future, HDs need to be MATCHED in CAP, RPM and Cache.

3. Probably don't need HSF Cooler. Your choice.

4. Believe that MB is SLI. Video Card Choice CAN Be Improved Upon.

5. Purchase Case, PSU and Fans from (( Antec )). They will honor warranty PLUS have SPARE PARTS.
Need at least 650 Watt 80% eff. Power Supply.

6. Use Vista Business Edition instead of Home Edition.

I prefer Newegg and Antec for vendors if available in UK.

Inserting Links to componets is easier. (LOL)

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.