How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

New page: Preventing Infection

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2273 times

ScottW
ScottW

I just created this new page in the wiki to refer people to when they ask how to prevent a malware infection or prevent a re-infection after they got one:
http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/.....nd_Spyware

I have marked this as an opinion piece (op ed?) because it's my opinion. I would appreciate any feedback and some more good links to add to the References section. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Very good. Looks like you have been real busy. In the removal tools I would also list some rootkit remover like Rootkit Revealer - http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....97445.aspx

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Nice work!

That's exactly the type of article I was hoping the wiki would be used for.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, this is advice that I have given before on this forum, so I wasn't that busy just making it more general and putting into the wiki.

As for a rootkit remover, I'm all for linking to one but this page is about *preventing* infections not cleaning them. Also, I have referenced a page listing free Anti-Spyware, which is a sub-page of all anti-spyware. I would expect to have a page of anti-virus and other cleaners, such as rootkit revealers and removers linked to yet another master page that this new page of mine could link to.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

We should really have a page on how to clean infections as well... would definitely be useful.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Yes, a page on how to clean infections would be great, but every infection is different and there is no one tool that will clean any kind of infection. Just thinking about how complex those instructions would be reinforces for me how important it is to *prevent* infection in the first place.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, My comment regarding Rootkit removal referred to this section you link to http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/.....plications with the section "Spyware removal tools"

Posted 5 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

At the IT company I work for, we use spyware doctor, and it does a pretty good job. Ill get a link for it and post it later, cause I dont have one right now, I have it on a fd

Posted 5 years ago

newagepirate
newagepirate

Heres a link for it

REMOVED BY MOD

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Spyware Doctor may be good (although I have never seen it in any serious comparison rating), but on my system it made a real mess. I threw it out.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@newagepirate:

Referral links are not allowed... I'm sorry, but that's pretty standard. I realize now that I overlooked mentioning that in the rules, but I'm going to update.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

@Geek, Although I understand the general intent governing this rule, it may not always be practical. If someone asks where to find a cheap PC or a specific bit, how can we answer without pointing them to a commercial link? Difficult!

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@whs: There is nothing wrong with with commercial links. It's posting referral links that are a problem.
Referral links being when the poster will get paid when a person buys something after clicking on the link.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Hmmm, It's that what it was? I thought "Referral Link" meant a commercial link. Thanks, I again learned something. One is really never too old to learn. I should have done like you would have => Googled the term. lol

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Yeah, the whole idea is that people shouldn't be peddling links just because they are going to make money off them... makes it more difficult to trust anybody's intentions for promoting a piece of software.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

That is a good principle. Sorry I confused the issue due to a lack of semantic knowledge of the term.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!