How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

New MS Surface Tablets - Questions ??

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1498 times

raphoenix

Posted For Comment:

From information and pictures on the net, it appears the New MS Tablets will have only (1) USB Port.

1. How are folks going to run Printers, External Hard Drive Storage, External Mouse, USB Stick and Other USB Connected Peripherals SIMULTANEOUSLY ??

A lot of plugging in and unplugging will have to be done if the design is not changed.

2. What happens when the machines get so badly infected with a virus that a Clean Install must be performed ??

Windows 8 as it stands now is certainly not immune to Virus Attacks or other Windows Problems which warrant
System Clean Installs.

Since the machines are forecast to range any where in price between $500 USD and $1000 USD, then surely they will NOT be considered "throw-a-way" devices will they ??

How do iPad Owners handle all of the above issues currently ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

1. this is NOT a PC. An array of external devices is not very practical for a device on the go. A few things (that use low power) could be attached via a hub.

2. I guess same as on a PC. You install from a stick.

3. I don't think you'll get one for $500. My guess is that the entry price will be $749. And that is for the ARM version. The x86 (pro) version will start at $999. They must leave room for the OEMs to come in with cheaper versions. Else the OEMs will be very upset.

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast

iDevice Response:
1) No USB, no external devices allowed. Can print using AirPrint
2) Attach to iTunes and Restore Device.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

The x86 (pro) Version of the Tablet is being called a PC by Microsoft.

I think with the Price as forecast, we're getting into a "Haves vs Have Not" economic situation.

Certainly we don't need a "digital divide circumstance" any larger than there exist now do we ??

@Enthusiast,

The ipad then SCARES ME MUCH with Apple's Complete Control over the device.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

The 'divide' already exists. Have a look at the prices of those Ultrabooks. And any other decent system will cost $1000. But over time those prices will come down. Remember the Motorola Xoom that listed for $800 at announce. Check todays price.

Btw: there are always Haves and Have nots. Nothing we can do about that.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

I wonder if they will add an option to re-image from cloud services!

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

I would like a GENERIC Tablet with enough USB Ports OR Thunderbolt Port which would run ANY O/S which I could load by myself on it.

That way, I would still retain complete control over my Tablet PC even if I have to purchase O/Ses which seems fair.

I DO like the MS (pro) Tablet Design BUT think it needs MORE I/O on it.

May be some forward thinking company like Asus, Gigabyte or MSI will come up with a GENERIC Tablet.

Wouldn't that be wonderful !!

What do you think ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

Hey Rick like Whs mention you could always buy a cheap usb hub and if the power supply on the surface is any good it should generate enough power to power anything you wanted but i am like everybody else why would anybody want to pay 500 or better to get that when you can buy a untra for the same price? doesn't make logical since to me.

John

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Yeah, $500-$1000 is too much for something that can't print, has no sound and can't store anything locally plus is tied eternally to one operating system.

Don't think it has a microphone or camera either.

I'll bet the thing don't get no 8 hours of battery life if one tries to do some real continuous work or gaming with it.

A changeable picture in a frame or real PC, what do you think ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Pegatron, an Asus Spin Off, will manufacture MS Tablets.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/.....siness_pop

Pegatron History:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegatron

Current Market Information:
http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/4938:TT/chart

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

lilsting10

2. Win8 has a new 'System Refresh' feature which leaves files intact but takes all system files back to factory settings.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

This is a TABLET, not a laptop or desktop. Meant for MOBILE use or at a customer site, just like an Ultrabook (the real competition point) or some laptops are now.

Biggest 'stock' difference between the present day tablets and Surface, it HAS a built-in keyboard. Also it will run (again, not the RT version) your present day apps that you use on your PC desktop or laptop. However, the largest memory model might make it impossible to use all your programs.

Biggest hurdle, the lead Apple has. Price point too. Acceptance of course too. Businesses are guaranteed to be slow to adopt.

Owning Windows PC's and 2 iPad's, I have no problem using EACH for its intended purposes. Does Apple control every aspect of my iPad's? You betcha!!! Matter of fact I bought a program and asked the developer as a suggestion why not add a feature. When I got the first one, I thought the battery ran down very fast. The 'Genius bar' plugged my iPad into a Mac, and said, no, look at the battery total times on the last 4 charges... 9 hours plus. So why not put that into his app... the answer surprised me. He couldn't do it. Apple uses PRIVATE API's to do that, and if he included that, they wouldn't allow the app to be sold in the store. Windows has a lot of PRIVATE API's, but once figured out by developer's MS has no way to stop the use. Does it hurt me, no, on both the iPad and PC.

I wouldn't worry about it much. Hey, if you listen to some pundits, the PC is dead... and tablet are the future.

Speaking of 'AirPrint', it isn't all that it is cracked up to be. With an iPad and an 'official HP listed AirPrint' printer, it doesn't always work. Sometimes I get Device not ready, sometimes nothing prints. It is an All-In-One, so maybe that has something to do with. However HP has its own app for it, works like a charm.

Apple recently enhances the backup and restore feature between the iPad and iTunes, can do it wirelessly now too, no need to connect physically to the PC.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.