How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

New MOB advice

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by pull43
  • Latest reply from Budohorseman
  • Topic Viewed 1707 times

pull43

Hello all,
I am putting together a new rig with the processor listed below and would appreciate suggestions for the right MOB. Please do not suggest the Asus P5N-D since the one I originally purchased for this rig is dead. Not really in to overclocking, just like fast!
Thaks in advance for all responses.
Pull

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Would this be an option? http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/.....list=yahoo

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Do you need to do SLI, or are there any other requirements?

I notice the board you have has two PCI-e 2.0 slots... planning on doing SLI ?

Posted 6 years ago

pull43

Thanks Geek and whs!

No to SLI.

whs,
I was hoping to find a good board for some less than $225.
I read all the reviews on NewEgg for the processors listed above and some of the folks listed thier MOB's.
All were over $200.

Thanks for your responses and I will let you know where my search leads.
Pull

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You should be able to find any number of boards for less than $200 that would work fine with your processor... it all depends on which features you want.

The board I used for my quad core is the P5K-E http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6813131196 , which worked out great for me and was only $150 or so... of course it doesn't have PCI-e x16 version 2.0 slots, so it's a little less upgradable than a more expensive board.

Edit: Note that I'm not recommending this board for your processor... it would probably work, but you might want to find a slightly better board since your processor runs at a much faster frequency than mine does.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Please also keep in mind your RAM, as DDR2 and DDR3 typically required different boards. And if you ever plan on using two video cards, most do crossfire (AMD) and fewer do SLI (Nvidia) so keep that in mind as well.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.