The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

New Member with a question

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Luckydog
  • Latest reply from Aleeve
  • Topic Viewed 738 times

Luckydog

I have a dell Dimension 8200 .... My sister upgraded the ram when she owned it and I've added a DVD drive later on.....I want to add an internal hard drive and take out that stupid 3 1/2 drive. I dual boot with the hard drive I have in there now.....going between Windows XP Pro and Linux Ubuntu.

My question is, What would I need to do besides taking the floppy drive out and putting in a new hard drive....will there be anything else I need to change?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

> will there be anything else I need to change?
I don't get what you asking. You would change whatever you want to change. I don't know why you think you need to do anything to the machine.

Posted 5 years ago

Luckydog

No...nothing else to change as hardware ...I was talking about hooking up the new HD where the old floppy drive was. I didn't know if it would pick it up on its own or if I had to change something else so it would recognize it.
I really need to separate the two operating systems and put them on their own drives. That's the reason I'm looking into buying another Hard Drive.
Dual booting is great if you have a decent hard drive to begin with .....which at first it was ok....but now I need more space.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

What you need to change depends on how you are thinking about using it
Are you a gamer, or is it just for light, business/work related stuff?
This will affect which processor, RAM and video card you have
and, ultimately the price too

Posted 5 years ago

Luckydog

No....not a gamer. I do surf the web a lot and use a lot of application programs. With Xbox and Playstation 3...computer gaming is something I don't do anymore.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

If you are talking about hooking the hard drive to the same cable as the floppy drive then that won't work. A floppy drive uses a different connector then hard drives to connect to the motherboard.
Also hard drives usually take more room in the case then the floppy drive.

Posted 5 years ago

Luckydog

That was my fear....I was afraid that would be the issue with replacing anything in this computer. I've never attempted a hard drive change and always bought externals. Oh well, thanks for the info. Now I have to figure out what I need to do now. Maybe replace the internal drive with a larger one but doing a GHOST swap was more than what I wanted to do.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Ok, if your not a gamer
Next question, do you have Vista?

Posted 5 years ago

Luckydog

Nope....Windows Xp pro and Linux Ubuntu

Posted 5 years ago

Luckydog

JD2066 and Aleeve....thanks for the assist. I'm glad I found this board. I'm not the "Techno-Geek" that some people are these days so doing stuff like this is new to me....my grandkids can breeze right through this stuff. I guess I'll have to re-think what I'm going to do.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Well, if it's just XP, that doesn't put so much stress on the RAM and processor
but is still worth getting 2GB RAm
and a 1.8GHz or so processor :)

I have never actually used Linux, so I'm afraid that is where my source of knowledge ends! Maybe i should broaden my horizons :)

Posted 5 years ago

Luckydog

Really, I use Linux for all my web surfing needs....I use windows just for my application programs that I've gotten use to over the years.
I got clobbered a year or so ago with Windows....darn virus went around Norton Security and took out windows....since I've dual booted and used Linux for the web.....I haven't had a single problem. No headaches with keeping several virus programs running at the same time either.

You're right about the 2 gig of ram though. I'm not really sure if this old machine can go up that far. My sister told me that the ram needed for this machine is very expensive when she up graded it. I guess I'll just deal with it until I buy a new machine.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Oh rite sure
Or you could buy a new motherboard?
May be a lot easier just to buy a new machine though, i agree

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!