How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

New laptop

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by quahog
  • Latest reply from quahog
  • Topic Viewed 1497 times

quahog
quahog

Im thinking about getting a new laptop and I want a good gamimg computer, but Ive only got about $1500-$1600 to spend. I know that most of the people here know what theyre talking about so if anyone could give me some suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

quahog
quahog

I accidentaly posted this in the windows vista, and I dont know how to get it moved

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

It was moved already. But why do you want to get a laptop for gaming. A desktop would be a lot better option. You can have a much bigger screen, a much better graphics card and it is a lot cheaper. A laptop for gaming would be rather heavy (so not that good for lugging around) because only the big ones can have a halfway decent graphics (matter of space and cooling). With $1500 you should be able to find something easily - but again, be aware that a laptop is NOT a good solution for that application. Heat, weight and you will still end up with a mediocre compromise.

Posted 5 years ago

quahog
quahog

Well, I was thinking about getting a dell xps, and they have some pretty nice and small ones that if you customize them, are pretty good. But I also want to use it for school next year.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

The Dell XPS is overpriced. You can find better. I will have a look in the sunday ads. But again, you should consider to spend $1000 on a decent desktop and the rest on a small laptop to lug around. Lugging a 17 inch is no fun.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Look at this super system. Add $250 for a 22inch monitor and you really have something. http://circuitcity.shoplocal.c.....ity-080706
Plus you have change left for a laptop for school.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

AnandTech just put up a laptop buyers guide http://www.anandtech.com/mobil.....spx?i=3351 so you may want to check it out.

Posted 5 years ago

quahog
quahog

Thanks for the article, and for the link to the pretty sweet system, but Im not a fan of HP or AMD. And I think Im definitely going to go with a laptop, just because I can take everything I have with me, but like you said lugging around a 17" laptop is awful, so I think Im gona get a 15" M1530 XPS

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Your choice. I personally think this is a waste of money because you can get a lot more computer in desktops from other than Dell. And lugging an expensive PC to school would not be my choice. But maybe the streets of Texas are safe. Well, you wanted suggestions. I gave you mine.
PS. What is your problem with HP and AMD? I have 2 HP's with AMD's and they are very good. I also have a Dell with Intel Q6600 - I wish I had never bought it.

Posted 5 years ago

quahog
quahog

I guess its personal preference, and my dad swears by HP and hes never had many problems, but I like dell because they make good computers and they use intel chipsets and boards. I like intel better than amd just because intel is kind of the standard and is compatible with basicly everything (some stuff doesnt work with amds)

Ps: I realy appreciate your suggestion, but I just want all my stuff in one so I dont have to use an external hard drive to transfer data.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I understand. Just one more suggestion: Get an external harddrive (at least 250GB) and Norton Ghost and make a system backup at least once a week. A laptop that is being hauled around a lot is very fragile (disk crashes happen frequently). And should your disk crash and you have to replace it, you can recover with Ghost from your last restore point on your external disk - else you restart from scratch. Should you, by any chance, get Vista Ultimate, you have a similar function built in - but that is a lot more expensive than the Ghost solution. Ghost14 is $70 (but you can do with Ghost12 for less) and the 250GB disk is also about $70.

Posted 5 years ago

quahog
quahog

I think I will get an external hard drive, but since I have free accessability to acronis, Ill use that to back my stuff up, so I dont have to pay for another program.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Acronis is perfect. Just do the backups on a regular basisi or when you have changed/added a lot.

Posted 5 years ago

quahog
quahog

Ill probably do it either once a week or whenever I do something big that I need backed up

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!