How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

New Kit... need critics

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by JKay
  • Latest reply from JKay
  • Topic Viewed 2511 times

JKay
JKay

Okay I think I finially tracked down all the parts I need to make this beast run... as far as I can tell from my research, everythings compatible... if you guys see something different, let me know, also any input at all would be helpful

XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #:WTBK

EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #:132-CK-NF79-A1

EVGA 01G-P3-N897-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 SSC 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #:01G-P3-N897-AR

AeroCool HorsePower 1020W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 Modular LED SLI Power Supply - Retail
Model #:HorsePower 1020W

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9450 - Retail
Model #:BX80569Q9450

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX - Retail
Model #:TW3X4G1600C9DHX

Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader - Retail
Model #:RCR-102

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #:WD3000GLFS

Logitech diNovo Edge 2-Tone USB Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard - Retail
Model #:Dinovo Edge

2x SAMSUNG 245BW Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor with Height Adjustment - Retail
Model #:245BW

Logitech VX Nano Black 6 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB 2.4 GHz Wireless Laser Mouse for Notebooks - Retail
Model #:910-000253 (for my laptop, already have a MX revolution for this rig)

LG Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Black SATA Model GGW-H20L - Retail
Model #:GGW-H20L

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Retail
Model #:70SB088600002

XCLIO Amazing Fan - 25cm 220mm Red, Blue, Green & Random LED Case Fan - Retail
Model #:Amazing Fan - 25cm

And a new version of Vista 64bit

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

What type of cpu fan do you have? I'd go with a Zalman.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

JKay: what, no water cooling? :-P

Do I even have to ask if this system will be overclocked? If so, I have to agree with Sparky -- some kind of CPU cooling is in order other than the stock cooler from Intel. With all of the other high-end parts, the stock CPU cooler seems out of place.

The only other criticism I could make is about the memory. I don't know more about that Corsair XMS3 than what I can read, but there is no mention of support for the 1800 OC profile. I suppose if there is no overclocking going on then that wouldn't be a problem, but if you are going to push the speeds up at all, I think it should be easy to find some DIMMs that support 1800 OC and CL8 as well. OCZ Platinum would do, or Reapers if you can afford them.

Even if you don't overclock, this system should be screaming fast. Even more so when you get that second GeForce for Quad SLI. :)

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

I have Corsair ram sticks(2gigs)and I'm very satisfied.Corsair is every bit as good as Crucial or OCZ,IMO.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

For cooling I use a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with a 120mm fan, as everyone else has mentioned, you want to stay away from the stock cooling when overclocking.

Posted 6 years ago

JKay
JKay

CPU fan, I was just going to use the "stock" fan and heatsinks. All the reviews for that mobo said that CPU heatsinks are always a big problem with screw patterns, space all that good stuff. Out of the box I dont plan on OCing anything, So who needs anything else to cool the CPU? I think the windtunnel should do it's job lol, in the future I'll probably get another identical card for SLi, but right now with the card being as big as it is, I want to make sure that 2 of them wouldnt block both PCIe 1.0 slots, I would hate to waste a sound card like that :) I left a little wiggle room for upgrades so RAM, video, CPU (like I'll ever need to upgrade this machines) can be at least doubled, but as of right now with the spec on it, I dont see a reason to get anymore, or OC anything. With that said I dont see a reason for anything less :) And liquid cooling, first of all I've never seen liquid cooling in my life, and just the idea of having something that can destroy a computer in a heart beat sitting right up against the CPU, I think I'll pass... at least until I can do a little research and play with one on my old PC. It might be about time to OC it all to hell and if it burns out... it burns out.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@Sparky, I hope I didn't come across as disparaging Corsair. Corsair has a good reputation, as do Crucial and OCZ. What I was doing was thinking that JKay might be overclocking this rig, so I went looking for a 2x2G DDR3 1800(OC) memory kit, and the OCZ was the first that I found. If Crucial or Corsair make such a kit, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest them.

@JKay, the Intel stock CPU coolers for the Core2 procs are good enough for use with a non-overclocked, non-extreme CPU. Just make sure that the airflow through that case is good and there will be no problems.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

@ScottW,no offense taken,when I built my machine I took a chance on Corsair.On my xp machine I'm using Crucial sticks,and I'm pleased with both.I would also suggest a good thermal paste,not the stuff that comes with the heat sink fan.For a few extra dollars,why skimp on what looks to be a rocket of a computer.

Posted 6 years ago

JKay
JKay

I'll look into it, it might come in with the 2nd video card, I want to make sure I have room for the sound card before I put 2 of those gargantuant video cards in there :) and out of the box, I'm not going to overclock anything... I dont see a need to at the moment, when a game comes out and I'm not happy with the way it plays, I might start OCing stuff. For the memory, I've over liked Corsair, never had a problem with them... if the mobo doesnt like it, I'll just send them back and order some crucials, since its one of the recommended RAM by EVGA

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!