How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

New HTG Forum features !

(30 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from Aleeve
  • Topic Viewed 4327 times

Scott
Scott

on behalf of The Geek, who has worked countless sleepless days on a solution, HTG Forums is pleased to announce that both LINK and IMAGE buttons are now available. Use the Link button to er, well, paste links and then give a description. The description will appear in place of the URL. For an Image, just paste a URL link. The images that reside on your PC must be uploaded first.

Enjoy !

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Scott, could you give some more explanation on how to use those. When I press "Link", I get a yellow IE bar (scripted window) and then nothing. On "Image", I assume the image will appear at the location where I pressed Image - but I am not sure. Hate to contaminate the Forum with test postings - so some further guidance would help.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

howdy whs, welcome back from France.

Just opened IE, pressed link and got a script warning (mine was in purple). IE being cautious that's all. HTG can probably be added to Trusted Sites and have no bar to click on.

For images, just copy the image location (usually a right click, it is in FF anyway) and that URL can be pasted in after you've pressed the image button.

Go ahead, test away. There is a test page on the OT forum.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Following problems:
1. HTG cannot be added to trusted IE sites because the IE accepts only the https:// prefix
2. Allowing the scripted window is not the problem. Problem is, no window shows up.
3. I understand the "Image" mechanism. I am just not certain where in my text the image will show up. And besides, I am not sure what advantage that has over pasting the link into my text - unless I miss something.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

1. OK
2. I have no idea why mine works and yours doesn't. I don't use IE too often. It's more than likely a setting in Internet Options>Advanced.
3. There is no text for the image button, just the URL. If it's on the net, copy image location. If it's on your PC, upload to imageShack-PhotoBucket and proceed as you have in the past. The obvious advantage is not all images have to be uploaded.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

OK, I'll work on it. I guess we'll soon need a HTG Certification.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Well on the bright side, no apparent problem in Firefox.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, regarding point 1, IE does not *require* that only secure site be added to the Trusted Zone, it's an option. See the link here.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

TEST CONCLUDED by raphoenix 09/01/2008

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

And who is that holding you? We have a prodigy in our midst ;)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

TEST CONCLUDED by raphoenix 09/01/2008

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

He's in the UK, may or may not be awake.
Cute pic for sure :)

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The script warning in IE is definitely a problem... I'm going to adapt the script to do an in-browser popup instead of the default javascript prompt.

The buttons are mostly useful for people that don't know how to create links or image tags, since it always seems to be a question of how to do it.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

they do seem to have potential to help some people :)

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Rick, you're ok now, you can stop showing everybody now if you like :)

Well, I'm glad you're not Darth Vader, now you're maybe just like that guy from James Bond with the cat (but it's a baby!)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Aleeve,

Thanks.
By the way, don't forget to order that memory we discussed last night for the "family" machine.
It will work.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I've also swapped out the bbcode plugin with another one that works a little better... rather than converting the bbcode to html it keeps it intact when editing.

For instance, I added this with the URL tag: http://www.howtogeek.com

[URL]http://www.howtogeek.com[/URL]

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

How did you get it to show the URL tag as text at the end of your post instead of it turning into a link?

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I used the code tag... there's still a bit of flaky behavior with code tag and backticks... I'm trying to figure out why.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The really strange thing is that if you use backticks, it kills the content. If you use the code tag, it works but then replaces them with backticks so you have to then replace them when editing... I don't get it, but I'll figure it out.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!