SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

new HP Win8 laptop - installing Win7 w/ only Win8 drivers available?

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nharp0386
  • Latest reply from Santo
  • Topic Viewed 288 times

nharp0386
nharp0386

I recently got an HP laptop that came with Windows 8. I haven't yet set it up. After watching some video guides to Windows 8, that OS seems very disorienting to me; it's just so different than all the older versions of Windows that I am used to. I'm also often hearing about various software (and external hardware such as capture devices) being incompatible with Windows 8. For those reasons (mostly the former), I was thinking it might be nice to run Windows 7 instead. I believe the factory-installed OS is the regular Windows 8, not Pro, so I likely don't have downgrade rights, but I do have access to a full (not upgrade-only) copy of Windows 7 through Microsoft's DreamSpark program (I'm a Computer Science student), so I can just wipe my hard drive and perform a clean installation of Windows 7 on it.

However, there are no Windows 7 drivers for my computer; the only ones available are for Windows 8. Is there a good chance that I may experience some incompatibilities with them in Windows 7? Would there be any other concerns with running Windows 7 on my Windows 8 laptop? According to this, HP hasn't tested Windows 7 on all of their Windows 8 machines.

Do you suggest that I give Windows 8 a chance first (or avoid wiping and installing Windows 7 altogether)?

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Santo
Santo

Before you change the OS, setup the laptop and create recovery discs. Then give a try for Windows 8. If the laptop does not have touch feature, then you may install a Start Menu Replacement.

The only way to check if Windows 7 is compatible is to install it and then check. If it fails to work then you can use the recovery discs created to reinstall Windows 8.

You may also create a complete image of the hard disk(all partitions should be included) using Macrium Reflect before changing the Windows 8 OS. Later you may reimage the hard disk if you want to go back to Windows 8.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.