SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

New HDD crashing, but how can I be sure?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mx023
  • Latest reply from mx023
  • Topic Viewed 382 times

mx023

brand new 3tb seagate HDD, installed win7 on it. windows will randomly freeze up after a few hours, then reboots. when it starts back up I have a black screen with text, it's 2nd screen one after my bios boots (one you'd see "press any key to boot from disk") and it says NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt delete to reboot, well i warm reboot (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and go into my BIOS and it no longer shows my SATA connected HDD, but just ((HARD DRIVE)) in my boot sequence, so it seems my HDD is disconnecting from my PC or my pc wants to stop recognizing it, BUT after i just do a reset by holding down the power button, windows boots up just fine and that HDD is picked up just fine. problem is it's reoccuring and usually this stuff just gets worse..

My question is, is there a program i can run to verify my HDD is the issue?

Also - I'll need to reformat because i've learned that you have to format out of MBR format for the full 3 TB to be picked up by win7, otherwise it just shows 2TB. Any luck that may resolve my issues? And also if anyone has a walkthrough on what i need to do that would be great (still not sure of what format it needs to be and if my motherboard will play nice with that format)

Posted 1 year ago

mx023

gah, now if i try to even do anything like install a game on my C: drive my whole CPU freezes and crashes. I was able to run a chkdsk on the drive and it came back no errors found and no bad sectors... said there wasn't anything wrong with the drive... any ideas on whats going on?

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

It would really help if you could give more details on your machines specs like the model/motherboard manufacturer, size of RAM, hdd model/manufacturer, version of Windows 7 -31 0r 64 bit, etc.

Posted 1 year ago

terrens
terrens

"NTLDR is missing"- use your windows installation CD and choose "repair" from menu to fix this. Typing "fixboot" should fix it automatically.
If you install any game, you get BSOD? What you see on this screen?
Try to create partition on this disk for whole Windows(500GB, 1TB) and rest of space to make data partition.

Posted 1 year ago

mx023

if i try to install a game, in the middle of the install usually the entire cpu freezes for about 3-5 minutes, and the tower warm reboots, (never get a BSOD) then i get the NTLDR missing after my BIOS boots and before windows boots, if i do another warm reboot, ctrl+alt+delete and go into my BIOS, the actual HDD is missing and instead of displaying (SATA SEAGATE etcetc) it says (HARD DRIVE). If i do a cold restart by holding the power button, BIOS boots, and windows boots normally.

well i've ran the seatools HDD diagnostics from seagate and have done SMART tests, ran chkdsk, and ran windows memory diagnostics, ran repair off my windows disk, it searched and nothing.. so apparently nothing has found a problem, yet my cpu continues to freeze, reboot and tell me NTLDR missing.
I've never seen a SATA port or SATA cable go out, do any of my symptoms sound like this is happening if anyone here's seen this?

windows ultimate 64bit
intel core duo e8400 @ 3.00 ghz
4 gb ram
motherboard, biostar G31-M7 TE http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/....._ID=363#dl

The New HDD, seagate barracude ST3000DM001http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/barracuda/?sku=ST3000DM001

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!