The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

New Hard Drive needed

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cschultz48
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 781 times

cschultz48

Recently my hard drive on my Sony Vaio has been giving me the message that S.M.A.R.T. has detected an error on the hard drive please back up disk and replace immediately. I have created a system boot disc; and a media recovery disc. Both of these are on DVD's. I have also created a system image using Macrium.com free version. When I try to install a new hard drive I get the message to install the drivers either from one of the below listed drives. There are no listed drives. When I use my external HDD it does not recognize it. I am not sure if I am doing something incorrectly or I am missing a step somewhere. Can anybody help me. I am running Windows 7 x64

Posted 1 year ago

whs

From where do you get this message. It is quite clear what you are doing and at what stage you are.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Where did you store your system image?

Posted 1 year ago

bobro

have you been into BIOS and made sure it finds the correct HDD in there? There might be a driver you can download from the manufacturers web site but it is so few and far between since i have ever had to do this and i am an IT engineer for a living.

Posted 1 year ago

cschultz48

I stored the image on an external HDD. Once the new HD is installed, my system boots from Bootable CD (created from my system). I also created a Rescue Media CD from my system. It then stops and I get the error message wanting to install drivers.

Posted 1 year ago

ross57

Do you get an option to skip the driver install?
Is the new HDD SMART capable? You may have to disable SMART in BIOS before proceeding.
I generally create a clone rather than a backup and then load the clone image onto the new drive.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Did you create a Macrium rescue boot disk? This is needed so you can recover your Macrium image.
You stated you created a "system boot disc; and a media recovery disc". What is your system boot disk and how/ where did you created from?
Your Media recovery disk,, what is that?

Posted 1 year ago

cschultz48

Ok, my system has now crashed completely last night!!! UGH!! The media recovery disc was created from Macrium. It is supposed to have the drivers on it and it does not; all files are empty??? I am not sure how to get into the BIOS on this pc but I am reading the article on "Building your own Computer" on here. Not sure if the new HDD is SMART capable or not (I'm not that savvy on all this). It is WD BLUE SATA 1T. Which I understand means it's Western Digital 1 Terabyte SATA. I hope this info helps and I really do appreciate all of your inputs. Please any more information is very much needed!!

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

need full model information

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames

Hi cschultz48,

Do you know what size your old HDD is?
A Macrium image can only be restored to a drive that is the same size or bigger.

Posted 1 year ago

cschultz48

Ok, Sony Vaio VPCEF44FX. Old HDD is 640G SATA.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Sarah, It should be clarified that where you say "drive" it should read "partition(s)". The size of the physical drive is irrelevant.

Posted 1 year ago

cschultz48

Installed new hard drive but when booting the message Operating System not found appears??????

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Look on pg 114 of the user manual. Pressing the F2 key upon powerup will allow you to enter the BIOS.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/.....manualsTab
From here make sure your new hdd is listed. It might not be formatted

EDIT: While in your BIOS make sure a USB drive is listed as one option for booting.
You will need to change your boot device to your optical device as first boot order. Then you will be able to use the Macrium recovery boot disk. You will need to have your external hdd plugged in so the rescue disk can find the correct location of your image.

Posted 1 year ago

cschultz48

GERM-X
how do I see if my HDD is formatted correctly? I am in the BIOS and have put Optical Disk Drive on the top boot order.

Posted 1 year ago

cschultz48

I now have a message that says SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTIONS:
WINDOW CANNOT FIND A SYSTEM IMAGE ON THIS COMPUTER

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Exit out of the BIOS then put your Macrium rescue boot disk in and reboot your system. This should start your recovery disk. If it doesn't see your hdd then you might have to format your hdd first.

EDIT: Your image is on your external hdd. You will have to use the Macrium disk to locate your image.

Posted 1 year ago

cschultz48

The HDD is formatted to NTFS. It loads from the boot disk all the files then goes to above mentioned screen. It says to load drivers and when I click ok it takes me to sys32 and I have no clue what to go to. I found the Drivers folder but it is full of other files and I get the message not for use with your system

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

What disk are you trying to boot from?
What version of Macrium are you using?

EDIT: If all else fails you might need to make another Macrium rescue boot disk.
When you received this message did you have your USB external hdd plugged in?
I now have a message that says SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTIONS:
WINDOW CANNOT FIND A SYSTEM IMAGE ON THIS COMPUTER

Posted 1 year ago

cschultz48

I am booting from my vaio boot disk created thru Vaio Care. This has the windows files on it to load but no drivers. I can no longer create another boot disk as the original HD crashed. I also had the external HDD plugged in. I have come to conclusion that I should contact Sony for the Rescue CD for my system. This was not included when I purchased my laptop.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.