The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

new hard drive installed on studio xsp

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by manybellsdown
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1723 times

manybellsdown

my new computer from dell with windows 7 came with a "bad" hard drive. It had to be replaced and was, this afternoon. The technician who did that accidentally partitioned all my free space away to drive D, 833,000 GB, leaving drive C with only 97 GB. Can anyone tell me how to reallocate all that space from D to C? Is it just a matter of deleting the volume D, which is marked RAW. I really need to correct this as I am thrilled with win7 and need to get this off my mind. Matt, what do you say?

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs

Hi David, first of all, good to hear your new PC is finally working!! :) Actually it´s not a bad idea to leave the C: partition as it is at 97 GB. This would then be your main OS (Windows 7) drive and used only for that purpose, updates, system restore points, etc. I would then create a smaller partition, say 30-50 GB for programs and applications and the rest depends on what you use your computer for. (Gaming, video-editting, etc.). Of course it´s your computer and you can do what you want with it, hehe.

So, the easiest way, one big C: drive you asked for would be to delete volume D: Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Create and format hard disk partitions. From there, right click on D: then delete partition. Then right click on C: extend partition and allocate all of the space to C:

If you want to partition as I metioned earlier then post back and we´ll help you out!! Matt

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

I've got a Dell XPS Studio 435T and it came with 2 drives on my physical, a C: taking up almost all the space and a 15GB D: that is the Dell Restore/Recovery Partition. When they replace hard disks, you will lose that D: partition, but the CD's that have the h/w tests and the OS are capable of doing the same stuff.

That said, the first thing I did was shrink the C: down and with the remainder create a setup just like Madmacs suggests. Main reason being is that if the OS needs be replaced and you have to wipe the drive, you don't lose all your data. However, I do backup with backup programs both my partitions to be safe.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs

Hi Irv, I believe that there is no recovery/restore partition as it is a desktop PC (XPS 8000, I think) delivered with OEM DVD´s, Matt

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Matt, as far as I know, DELL (and I have 3 here now and one was a replacement by Dell) puts that partition, as well as a Diagnostic 7GB one on ALL the systems. I had, an 8100, XPS Gen3, XPS Gen5, and the Studio XPS 435T and all had this. My 8100 had the drive die and Dell replaced it. I had to load the OS as it came in blank. I called and 'cried' about the lost partitions and was told my CD's were the same. They were. There are CD's called DIAGNOSTICS and UTILITIES, but the name varies on each system. You can also D/L them from Dell. To get to the Diagnostic partition, on the older ones (not the 435T) the tech does a special 3-finger salute to get to it, but a CD also handles this.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs

Irv, I stand corrected :) I have never owned Dell, or any other pre-built PC for that matter. I was just assuming that if one had an OEM DVD then there would be no need for a recovery partition, they are just a waste of space in my opinion. The only recovery partition I ever had was on a new Sony laptop and it was the first thing I got rid of, lol. Matt

Posted 4 years ago

LH

It's just a matter of "How to save a few pennies, and annoy people".

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.