How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

New Forum for tutorials

(27 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 3199 times

ScottW
ScottW

LH, yes. Unless there is a better idea, the wiki is good enough for writing "fancy" tutorial and puts almost no burden on The Geek or the MODs. However, it places an extra burden on tutorial writers to learn wiki code. Perhaps both the forum post and wiki tutorials should be options. If simple formatting is enough, the forum post means there is no need for wiki code.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@ScottW:
I have chatted Outside of Forum with The Geek and we both thought of some ways a tutorial forum could be done but I think The Geek is too busy with other things like writing new articles for the site and doesn't have time to code them at the moment*

Some Simple Ideas**:
1) Rename "wiki" to something more friendly like "User Edited Tutorial Articles" instead of wiki as the word "wiki" is something that is not as widely recognized as the word "Forums" is.

2) Integrate the wiki into the forums somehow to enable discussion of all articles.
One big problem with the wiki right now is there is not any discussion feature and it helps to have feedback on an article.
One way to accomplish this would be to have another forum labeled "Tutorials" where the new topic page for it actually creates a wiki article and a real topic containing a link to the wiki article and lets people reply with their thoughts on it.
Then on all the wiki pages, there could be a discussion link that goes directly to the topic for it in the "Tutorials" forum.

Notes:
* This is an assumption that may or may not be correct. Only The Geek knows for sure what The Geek does.
** We both thought of other variations on those ideas but they are not much different then these so it's not really worth listing them.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, agreed, the HTG facilities for fancy layouts are limited. But I do most of my stuff in Word 2007, then usually convert it to PDF and upload it to e.g. Skydrive. On the tutorial forum I would just make a link like this. Now for simple text postings, the forum facilities are ok, but I don't think we should wait for more facilities to do it. Then there are video tutorials. Those would not fit into any scheme other than via a link. One can post a brief summary of the content and then the link.
The wiki is not an alternative - too cumbersome and too many rules. I would not mess with it, but maybe others find this to be the right place for their tutorial postings. If you want people to make contributions, you have to give them an easy entry. If it takes a lengthy study just to post something, then people shy off. The general success of HTG is in part due to it's simplicity. Not all Forums are like that - but some have tutorial threads.
As HTG is right now, it is pretty useless for tutorial posting. The few I have posted myself and some of the ones others have posted are spread all over the place and I have a hard time finding even my own. No point in adding any more.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

My apologies. Not having ever tried to post something in the Wiki, I didn't realize it was that difficult. :(

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

LH, no need to apologize. The Wiki has some formalities - and for good reason. That just is not everyones cup of tea. Try it, you may not like it either.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Wikis are nothing like as simple as they look!

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I didn't ask for the Spanish Inquisition :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.