The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

New Forum Feature: Gmail-Style Keyboard Navigation for Keyboard Ninjas

(12 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 2273 times

The Geek

Thanks to the hard work of forum member deaner225 and some prodding from myself, we've got a new feature on the forum that as far as I know makes us the first forum to have gmail style hotkeys for navigating through the forum without using the mouse.

For instance, once you enable the feature, you'll see a little caret next to items in the list:

At this point you can use the J and K keys to move the caret up and down, and then use the O key to open that thread, where the J and K keys will let you scroll from post to post. You can use the R key to reply (which puts the focus into the textbox), and then use the U key to return to the forum homepage. (all keys actually should be used in lowercase)

Instructions on how to enable (in your profile edit), as well as a full list of the hotkeys can be found here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/Help:ForumHotkeys

Of course you should keep in mind that this isn't for everybody, and since we just added the feature there might be bugs. It won't affect you if you don't turn it on, though.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Thank you Geek !

Posted 6 years ago

deaner225

If anyone has any suggestions for key commands that they think would be useful in being added to the list, please post them because we're interested in hearing suggestions

Posted 6 years ago

JonMCC33

Nice feature, Geek and deaner225! I know there are a lot of hardcore people that use only the keyboard to navigate Windows. ^_^

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

Nice feature, not a gmail user myself, but I'm sure this will come in handy!

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I suspect that I will be the only person really using the feature... it's very geeky though =)

Posted 6 years ago

whs

I suspect you are right. Why make it simple if there is a more complicated way. Where would all the "fun" be.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

It's not about simplicity, it's about being able to do things really quickly.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

'it's very geeky though :)'

so that means it must be ok then!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

I guess. That's the beauty of retirement. Speed is not a requirement. So for my part, it is a perfect solution for a non-existing problem.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I've gotten really used to using those gmail keys while in gmail, Google Reader, Remember the Milk (web-based todo list), Google search (with experimental keys enabled), and of course while using the vim text editor through ssh (where the keys were inspired from).

So for me and a number of my keyboard ninja friends, it's a matter of making everything work with those keys since it's the norm for me =)

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

my fingers are to big for the keys, i have to use my kindergarden crayon sized logitech trackball mouse for everything

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.