The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

(Solved) - New Forum Category?

(23 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by milnerw
  • Latest reply from ProstheticHead
  • Topic Viewed 2709 times

milnerw

Would it be possible to add How-to/Tutorials to the list as a Forum category? We could use this for posting how to's after we create them. As it is now, I just post them in the Geek Stuff section for lack of a better place to put them. It could also be used for requesting how to's.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

I'll set that up shortly for you and whs and anyone who cares to make them. Please keep in mind we won't be able to embed for a while though.

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

milnerw

Embeding is not a biggy with me... Plus, linking to Vimeo saves the almighty Geek some bandwidth. lol

Edit: I forgot to say thank you. THANK YOU! :)

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

@ waylon, whs
You have my email, can you send me the posts you want to populate the forum with?

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw

Where do I have your email at? I just checked my email and it's not there. Not even in my junk mail....

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw

@Scott. NM, I found it on your website. sending it now.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

lol, that one works too.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

This is very good news. Thanks. Now we can get busy. If I only knew how to post PowerPoint presentations in a convenient way. They have embedded videos and are quite large (100MB or more). Anybody have an idea?

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw

whs, I think the size issue is based on the type of media file you are converting the pps to. Will your program allow you to save it as a .mp4? I have a 14 min video that is 1280x720 and the total size is only 43 megs as a mp4.

You can try this. I have not tried it as Camtasia allows you to record pps already.
http://pptexpert.com/blog/?p=3#more-3
looks like the only limitation on the trial version is a watermark on the final video. Not sure how you feel about that.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I am only recording the embedded video files. But the PowerPoint file is a .ppsx file (or anything that PP would allow to store it in).

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw

ah. I understand now. well you could convert the whole pps file and then just edit the video to keep the part you want. this way may end up being a lot of extra work for the end result. this is just a suggestion as I have no other ideas at the moment.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Ya, I thought of kind of the same thing. I could video capture the Powerpoint parts seperately and then paste it together with my video recordings using the editing program (Machete). I am still struggeling a little with Machete because they only let you crop and paste at "Key frames". Sometimes those are far and apart on the recording. But maybe I find a way to force key frames where I want with my capture program. I have to ask the WMCapture people whether that is possible.
BTW: Do you know an easy way to crop .wma audio files?

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw

Audacity works great. Looks like you will have to download ffmpeg for it to work on wma files.

I have used Audacity to edit MP3's, but not wma.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

OK, thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

eddissonuk

would it be possible to have a section on networking , wireless , fixed , routers etc as im sure this is a minefield to many users.. me included

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

eddissonuk,

Not a bad idea but it's a bit problematic to add forums. The way the site is set up is
virtually without clutter and we've purposely kept the forum topics to a minimum.
We could have added a Browser, a Software or a Hardware one too but have resisted.

Posted 5 years ago

eddissonuk

ok..was just an idea.

Posted 5 years ago

baldeguy56

Scott, Why doesn't HTG have a search feature for users to search the how to's or to go 2 a relevant thread. Is it a bandwidth thing? Sorry if this is a dumb ?, but am relatively new to forums & lacking in tech knowledge. Thanks...Garry

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs

baldeguy56, as for relevant threads, there´s a search next to logout on the top right!! The how-to´s are in a forum itself called "Tutorials". I´m sure if everyone took the time to look, they would find ;). Matt

Posted 5 years ago

baldeguy56

Matt,
I am practically new to using forums. I haven't checked out the "Tuturials", but I will. I need to do more research within HTG and find these thing out for myself. I do apologize Matt and to anyone else in posting silly questions and having the team waste their time. I do need to keep my fingers off the keyboard and research. I am learning. Thanks to all

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.