The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

New Computer(Need Help)

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Nitroflame
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 518 times

Nitroflame

Hello I am Building a new computer and I would like people's input on my build as to put it simply I don't know much about building computers. I am posting here so i can get help on what I need to change and what is currently fine and doesnt need to change

CPU
Hard Drive
Motherboard
Power Supply
Memory
Video Card
CD Tray
Case
Moniter

If you could take time out of your day and look over my build and leave comments on what fits in with the build and what is unnecessary and what I need to replace because they aren't compatible. That would be nice.

Thank you for your time
Nitroflame

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Very nice build. I would a a 120GB SSD for the OS. My choice would be a Samsung 830 http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820147137

Even the 60GB may do (a really good deal) - all my desktops run on 60GB SSDs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820147133

Question is also whether you really need 16GB of RAM. I have 8GB and there are always 5 to 6GBs free.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Mis-Matched Sandy Bridge CPU with Ivey Bridge Mother Board.

Need to put a bit more research into Build. :)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Nitroflame

Thanks, So I'm assuming that NEW Motherboard is compatible.

Posted 2 years ago

Nitroflame

Also I need a big Hard Drive so 120gb wont cut it because I'm currently using 600gb on my current machine

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Actually, it would be cheaper to get an Ivy Bridge CPU, such as this one, to match the original MOBO plus then you would have the latest equipment instead of last generations.

The SSD that whs suggested would be in addition to the 1 TB drive you listed. The idea is to install only your OS and programs on the SSD, making it a boot drive, and keep only your data on the bigger drive. Using an SSD for a boot drive will allow your computer to boot and open programs faster than a mechanical drive without the expense of an SSD big enough to hold everything. Data drives don't need to be as fast as an SSD unless you are frequently moving huge amounts of data. The 64 GB SSD whs suggested is very reasonably priced. Cutting your RAM down to 8 GB as suggested by whs would go a long way toward paying for the SSD. Unless you run some really huge programs (such as seriously hard core gaming), 64 GB should be plenty for the SSD. 8 GB should be plenty for the RAM unless you plan on doing some really massive video editing, editing huge numbers of photos at one time, or industrial strength multitasking.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.