The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

New computer won't boot

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by archaon827
  • Latest reply from peter333
  • Topic Viewed 1032 times

archaon827

This past month I've been building myself a new computer. I've never done this before, but I found a lot of useful information and when I finally had all the parts I was able to put it together no problem, and it worked right away. Once it was running I updated all the drivers, and started using it and it worked fine. However after using it for a day, I went away for a while and it went into power-save mode. When I tried to come back, it wouldn't start up and I had to turn off the power supply. At this point it wouldn't turn back on. When I turn on the computer, the power switch LED flashes, and I get one or two beeps (kind of one compound beep?), and then it goes dark and doesn't start. The power supply is active at this point, but the rest of the components are off. I can still open and close the disk drive.

At one point early in this process I turned the computer on it's side and opened the case, and then turned it on. The first time I did that it booted perfectly and continued to work when I put the case cover back on. However when I turned it off and uprighted it, it ceased to work again, and does not work on it's side either.

I don't really want to just try all kinds of things myself since I wouldn't know what I was doing, and I'm worried that if I'm cutting the power over and over I'll damage the system... If anyone could give me some advice and help me solve this problem I'd really appreciate it. Here's the specifications of the computer:

ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard
AMD Phenom X4 9950 Quadcore Processor
ULTRA LSP650 650W Power Supply
VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 Video Card
HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 500GB SATA
Sony 20X DVDRW IDE
Running Windows XP

Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

peter333

Is there a PC Club where you can take your box for their next meeting? You will find some amazing help & expertise. Most tend to to help, gratis and you may want to join in any case, even if you don't go to every meeting. My initial thoughts are an issue with the quadcore. Let the Forum know how you went.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!