The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

New Cable Modem, now Router(DIR615) is Blocking forums

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Nodnarb
  • Latest reply from Nodnarb
  • Topic Viewed 489 times

I ungraded my 7 year old motorola sb5120 to an SB6121.
the sb6121is hardwired to a Dlink DIR 615( that was in use with the 5120) and IT is hardwired to the PC.

I authorized it through my provider correctly and it connected to the internet, at least partially.
I loaded google no problem, checked and then i navigated to a forum i frequent and was meet with:

Hmm, i didnt reset the router, so i checked the configurations in the router and there arent any blocks on websites, what i cant seem to find is where there may be a general settings wherein it is blocking general categories.
i use Opendns but when I took the router out of the loop and everything loads fine,

Any ideas?

Posted 2 years ago

The best thing i would recommend is to call your isp (Internet System Provider) and explain what's going on. It sounds to me on the new modem there are some ports being block.

Posted 2 years ago

Since it is an Open DNS message, see bottom, I would check my OpenDNS limits at you account at . Or change to an equally fast DNS with no restrictions Google DNS & You can set it locally in your computer or globally in your router.

Posted 2 years ago

I changed the DNS to Google ( it was set to automatically detect, not sure what happened to open dns settings) and now the PC connects without issue.( router is IN the loop)

I don't understand why, when the router was disconnected, the PC connected without issue( when i hadnt changed DNS)
Now, router in line, PC works, BUT wireless devices( Samsung GS3's are still giving me the same blocked message).
I cant seem to find DNS settings in the wireless part of the router set-up, i have a post up the the Dlink forums to see what they have to offer.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.