The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

New Cable Modem, now Router(DIR615) is Blocking forums

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Nodnarb
  • Latest reply from Nodnarb
  • Topic Viewed 489 times

Nodnarb

I ungraded my 7 year old motorola sb5120 to an SB6121.
the sb6121is hardwired to a Dlink DIR 615( that was in use with the 5120) and IT is hardwired to the PC.

I authorized it through my provider correctly and it connected to the internet, at least partially.
I loaded google no problem, checked time.gov and then i navigated to a forum i frequent and was meet with:

Hmm, i didnt reset the router, so i checked the configurations in the router and there arent any blocks on websites, what i cant seem to find is where there may be a general settings wherein it is blocking general categories.
i use Opendns but when I took the router out of the loop and everything loads fine,

Any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49

Nodnarb,

The best thing i would recommend is to call your isp (Internet System Provider) and explain what's going on. It sounds to me on the new modem there are some ports being block.

John

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Since it is an Open DNS message, see bottom, I would check my OpenDNS limits at you account at OpenDNS.com . Or change to an equally fast DNS with no restrictions Google DNS 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 You can set it locally in your computer or globally in your router.

Posted 1 year ago

Nodnarb

I changed the DNS to Google ( it was set to automatically detect, not sure what happened to open dns settings) and now the PC connects without issue.( router is IN the loop)

I don't understand why, when the router was disconnected, the PC connected without issue( when i hadnt changed DNS)
Now, router in line, PC works, BUT wireless devices( Samsung GS3's are still giving me the same blocked message).
I cant seem to find DNS settings in the wireless part of the router set-up, i have a post up the the Dlink forums to see what they have to offer.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.