The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

new build

(38 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2743 times

jd2066

> If you are using all SATA drives, there is nothing attached to the IDE controller so it flashes up that message.
Actully SATA drives are a type of IDE. The older type with the wide gray cables that were refered to IDE by many people as it's type is IDE is now known as PATA.
So the BIOS shouldn't have a difference between the two.
Thus your message doesn't make sence as if all the SATA drives are used then there is something attached to the IDE conntroller.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

jd2066,

The Bios on Builder Boards can be set-up many different ways.
I HAVEN'T READ THE MANUAL ON THE P5Q, nor do I have one, but just know from experience that his Bios has to be set-up correctly because of the configuration multiplicities on Asus boards.
Which reminds me, Intel was suppose to announce the I7s and X58 sometime this week like yesterday which didn't happen ??
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

From what I heard is that they should be going on sale here in Germany at the end of the week. I sure wished that i had waited six months before putting a new PC together, same old story everytime!!! While we wait have a drool over this baby from Asus with some wicked, wicked OCZ 16000 DDR3 memory and a little i7 to finish it off, lol. http://www.guru3d.com/article/.....herboard/1

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@madmacs,

Yes, remember all those "Check My Build" postings where my comment was to "hold off for a month or two" ??

Wonder if some of the poster's took my advice ??

Will never know I guess. (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)
Now we are talking Real Build. (LOL) (LOL)
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

@Rick,

I sure as hell wished I´d of found HTG six months ago, then i would have definately of waited. Sadly in the world of computers either you wait a lifetime, or get conned into buying the "NEW" soon to be outdated (i.e. in 2 hours) stuff, lol

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

jd, thats exactly what was coming up as "no hard drive detected" i disabled that and the gateway thing, reset everything according to the howtogeek bible-o-build and it was screaming. my restart into vista home premium was less than 30 seconds. now i'm wiping the hard drive because i had to see what all the cd's were about that came with everything. most were junk programs. ill reinstall vista, the drivers, nod32 and do a norton ghost back up. now i need to find something to do with a $1000 dell xps tower.
the antec1200 is fairly quiet even though it has 5 - 120mm fans and a 200mm at the top. there's so much room in that thing i could rent out space.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@madmacs,
This is true.
Six months ago, is a long time so you didn't do to bad.
Intel caught me also with that RamBus Ram change and took me to the "cleaners" several years ago.
---------------------
It's the folks that I warned a month or so ago that I (don't) feel sorry for !!
---------------------
I posted the fact that there was a big change coming pretty quickly so if they ignored my post; then they will have to live with their mistake.
LET'S TAKE THIS TO OFF-TOPIC AND LET (0z) CONTINUE WITH BUILD HELP.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

JD, I just can't get used to this new nomenclature. Wikipedia says that the old IDE was retroactively renamed PATA. That's nice -- I'm sure they went back and changed all of the written literature, but they didn't rewrite my brain! Also, the Asus manuals still refer to an IDE connector and it says "IDE" on the silkscreen. But, I will try.

Oz, your P5Q Pro motherboard has 3 drive controllers. The ICH10 Southbridge for SATA 1-6, a PATA-only controller, and a second SATA-only controller for connectors 7 & 8. That's a lot of storage capability! The P5E3 Deluxe board that I worked on recently had only 2 controllers, but it would flash a message "No any drive detected" from the PATA controller which had nothing connected. I suppose that you are lucky if you only see one such message since you probably have 2 controllers with no drives attached.

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

scott, i do have one other screen that appears down the left hand side. it has a red header on it, but it has so much writing i'm not able to catch what it is yet. there are a lot of sata plugs, i found the orange and white sata e1 and sata e2 wouldn't notice my hard drive or dvd.
thanks for the help, the cold air got to me today. i'm off to bed at 7pm.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Oz, that other screen with the colored text is probably the Intel RAID splash screen. If you hit <Ctrl-I> during boot it will take you into the RAID controller setup menu. That's how it is on the P5E3 as well -- that RAID screen goes by so fast you can't read it. Stay warm!

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Here are the two screens that I mentioned before from the Asus P5E3 Deluxe -- the PATA controller reporting no drives found and the Intel RAID screen. These are video output captures, so they are a little fuzzy.

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

i have the second one on my xps, except the raid. i'm waiting for a few small parts to arrive before i completely set it up. i have a glass and steel frame desk and the wires are ran through clear tubes. it will take several hours to set it all up.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Oz, I've heard of case modders, but not desk modders! I would like to see a glass and steel desk with wires running through clear tubes. You should post a picture of your setup, when it's ready. Do you know of any other desk modders that might already have pics posted? I have got to see this.

My home theater components sit on glass and metal shelves, but I never thought of running the cables through clear tubes.

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

the clear tube i picked up at lowes, cut a slit lengthwise and screwed to the desk framing. i got the computer set up, i added 4 gigs of ram, installed eset, and vista updates. did a norton ghost back-up then i ran the index base score in vista. everything was 5.9 except the junk graphics card i put it. it rated 4.7. that will be taken care of real quick. i'll get some pictures as soon as i finish the wire management. again, thanks for the help

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

now about memory. i installed 4 gigs. on another computer i installed 4 gigs and got a screen that said i had too much memory. if i dont get this screen on this computer does it mean i can use 4 gigs with no problems?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@0z,

Look at your exact MB Model SKU for (Maximum Memory Supported)
Then take into consideration how much memory addressing your Vista Edition Supports (32/64).
You will want to run in Dual Channel Mode so pick memory module's size accordingly.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....7&y=28
That will be the end of memory supported.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

the max is 16, vista 32 works around 3+ gigs? i'll keep it the way it is for now...

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

0z,
4 sticks of 1 Gig or 2 sticks of 2 Gig are what I think? most run.
Speed will vary according to MB Spec Supported and Budget.
Use all the Same Brand Modules for Good Compatibility.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.