The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

New build will not POST!

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by pull43
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 2972 times

pull43

Put together a new system today using components below. Push on button, get one long beep and everything shuts off. If I hold the power button in it will try to power up and still beep until it shuts off.
All the fans power up.
The keyboard lights come on.

I am not sure if its a long beep or just a beep until it shuts down. It only last about 3 seconds.

I have done the following:
Change memory, also tried two sticks rather than four.
Changed power supply
Hooked up MOB outside case to be sure ther was not a short
Reset the heatsink after applying new paste

I am not a geek but have built five computers prior to this one and never had a problem getting them up. I am stumped!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pull

Asus P5N-D MOB
Intel dual core E8500
Muskin 2x2 gig DDRII
WD Sata2 7200 HD
EVGA 8800 Graphics card
Zalman CPU cooler
MS Vista Home Prem
Corsair 650 power supply

Posted 5 years ago

jraparrish

Pull43, pull the memory off the board and see if your board beeps continuously. This will confirm the board is seeing the memory. Holding the power button will not help either, it will cause a good system to shut back down. Also, you mentioned you tried 2 stick of memory instead of 4, but you only list 2 x 2GB Muskin DDR2. I am also assuming you do not have an OS loaded since it will not POST. Disconnect all devices except the monitor and memory, then reset the BIOS with the jumper on the board to make sure that something is not set incorrectly. Refer to your manual for the location. If you do not find that a jumper to "Clear CMOS" exists, simply pull the battery off the board for 30 seconds or so to clear it. Refer to section 2-6 in your manual to clear the CMOS. I also noticed something else a little odd in your manual, refer to section 2-3, where is says you need to connect a chassis fan to CHA_FAN1 connector if you are using a Dual Core Processor. Since you are using a Dual Core Processor, make sure you have a chassis fan attached to that connector. I have 2 different ASUS motherboards and I check both manuals and there was not mention of this in either. I would assume that it is important if it specifically notes that you should do so. If you have not tested the Video Card, it would be a good idea to use one that you are sure that is working properly. The idea is to start with nothing but the basics then add peripheral devices one by one to determine if they are causing the issue. If you find that the board, processor and memory alone still have the POST problem then your board or processor may be at fault. If you have a known good video card, use it first. I sure hope something here will help you. I know first hand how frustrating it is to have a new build give you trouble.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The advice of removing the memory is good... I'm compiling a list of troubleshooting methods here (work in progress):

http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/.....our_Own_PC

Does anything at all happen when you flip the power? Most of the Asus boards have an LED on the board that comes on when you flip the power. My manual has a section for the beep codes... usually there's one long beep and then either 2, 3, or 4 short beeps.

When you say it tries to power up... does the hard drive actually start spinning like it's trying to boot from it?

Posted 5 years ago

pull43

The grrn light on the board comes on when the power switch is turned on.
My manual has nothing in it refering to beep codes (Manual 3461)

I have since unplugged all the drives and fans (other than the cpu fan) and shorted the power swith from the board. Also removed the graphics card .........................same results.

Thanks "Geek" for you response.

Pull

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Do you have another video card you can try?

I would guess that there's a good chance that is your problem, since the keyboard lights and everything come on... and there was no change when you removed it.

Unfortunately, when building computers it's really useful to have extra parts around... which is tough when you just don't have extra parts around.

Also, now that I think about it... does that video card require a power connection? Some of the higher end video cards require a separate power connection from the power supply.

Posted 5 years ago

pull43

Yes Geek, the video card requires additional power.
I have tried it with power connected to the boeard as well as power not connected.

Thanks,
Pull

Posted 5 years ago

pull43

Geek,
I tried another video card from a working Quad core machine with same results.

I am sure beginning to think I have a bad MOB.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Pull

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The motherboard could definitely be at fault... there's not much else to test at this point.

Will be interested to hear what the final result is.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

pull43, if you get this box working (and I am sure you will), I would be interested to know how you judge the performance of the E8500 as compared to your Quad core. Reason is that I have a Q6600 and am very unhappy with the performance of this supposedly "fast" processor. Some of my "slow" processors seem to do better.

Posted 5 years ago

pull43

Thanks Geek for your responses.

WHS,
The quad I built was the Q6700 and it runs ok but not fast, fast. I bought the E8500 because all the info from the people that post at NewEgg talked like it was really fast. I have not gotten into the oc'ing and probably will not. Computers are a hobbie that I enjoy but lately to expensive of a hobbie.

The fastest by far machine I have done was with the AMD 6400+. That machine was a rocket.
May have to go back to AMD?

Thanks

Pull

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Pull, that was also my experience - the AMD's are damn fast. I think it is because of the speed of their FSB. The specs of the E8500 look exciting. But reality may be another thing - especiall with the 1333 FSB.

Posted 5 years ago

pull43

Thanks Geek for your responses>
I pulled th whole thing down, boxed up the MOB for return.

Thanks for trying to help me through my delima!

Pull

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Definitely hope that was the problem...

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!