The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

New build will not POST

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by pull43
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 2178 times

pull43

Put together a new system today using componants below. Push on button, get one long beep and everything shuts off. If I hold the power button in it will try to power up and still beep once and shut down.

Asus P5N-D MOB
Intel dual core E8500
Muskin 2x2 gig DDRII
WD Sata2 7200 HD
EVGA 8800 Graphics card
Zalman CPU cooler
MS Vista Home Prem

I am using an older Thermaltake box with 420 volt power supply.

Any help will be appreciated!

Pull43

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I would have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure a long beep is a memory error. Make sure you have the memory in the right slots, and that it's properly inserted (check your manual).

The manual also might have the beep codes... each BIOS has a specific set of beep codes that mean different things.

Since you have two sticks of memory, you can also try it with just a single stick, and alternate if necessary.

Posted 5 years ago

pull43

I will try that and report back!
Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

off the top of my head
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Posted 5 years ago

pull43

I tried the reducing the memory down to one stick with same results. The MOB manual does not list the beep codes.
Muskin memory was not listed as a qualified vendor for DDR2-800 for this MOB.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
pull43

Posted 5 years ago

jraparrish

Memory is most likely your culprit, the Geek is correct, a long continuous beep is a DRAM issue. It is either not compatible, not install correctly or defective. You bought good quality memory as far as I can tell. I have never personally purchase Muskin. If you have a friend that has a system with similar memory you could try it. DDR2 PC6400 seems to be correct for the board, but it also accepts 667 and 533 according to the manual. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails like a new part that refuses to work. Good Luck!

Posted 5 years ago

pull43

Thanksjraparrish, don't panic, and the geek!

I took 4-1 gig sticks of OZC from another computer that is running well and place it in my dead machine and got the same results.
What would the next thing to cause the machine to beep once ans cut off? All in about 5-6 seconds. The lights and fans come on but go right off.

I notice the Zalman fan slipped on the cpu while mounting the MOB. Could the lack of seal cause it to stop like that. I used Artic sliver and applied just as always have prior.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks again to each of you.

Pull43

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Have you verified that all of the other other connectors are in place (there are usually two connectors for power, one is 4-pin, the other is 24-pin). I'd double-check everything to make sure it's all installed correctly, including the power and reset button cables.

There's some slight possibility that the power supply isn't working with the motherboard, although that seems remote.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!