The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - new build-no signal

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Enrique1
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 927 times

Enrique1

I'm building my first computer and am getting power to all components except the monitor displays "No Signal." All fans and lights in the case are on, fans on video card/heat sink to processor are on. I have reinstalled the RAM/video card to make sure they were in place properly. I have pulled out the processor and put it back in to make sure it was in properly as well. I have put together the parts inside and out of the case and get the same result. I have tried only one stick of RAM at a time in each individual slot. Nothing. I am fairly certain that the problem lies with either the motherboard or the processor according to other posts I have read. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can narrow down the problem it would be greatly appreciated. Here are my components:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
- MSI P7N SLI motherboard
- EVGA GeForce 9500 GT video card
- Thermaltake TR2-430W PSU
- OCZ High Performance DDR2 memory (4-1gig strips)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

just a question, were you on aol in the tech chat the other night?

Posted 5 years ago

Enrique1

No, I wasn't.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

just wondering, i sent someone here from that room and they had almost the exact same set up. keep checking, someone will fix this for you. guaranteed!
:)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Have any way of swapping parts between your systems ??

Posted 5 years ago

Enrique1

I have two Dells in my house and neither of them have parts compatible with my machine. They are mostly outdated, although I have tested my machine on a different monitor and had the same problem so I know it is not the monitor that is causing the problem.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

the two times i had a "no signal" on my screen was one on my first build. i had two hard drives and two dvd burners connected. after i unplugged one dvd burner and one hard drive it suddenly came on. the other time i had a bad cable that connected from the monitor to the graphics card. if i remember i also held in the on/off switch on the monitor. you could also check howtogeeks guide on setting up a new system bios. but you're not getting a signal so thats no help

Posted 5 years ago

Enrique1

Thanks for your help but I finally figured it out. I had not connected the power to the CPU. I feel so stupid it was such a simple error that I overlooked. Thanks again.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Enrique1,

Not an uncommon mistake in the hurry to Boot your Build for the first time. :) :)

My next question was to be did you install the processor correctly by the book. (LOL)

Stay with us and enjoy your Build.

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.