How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

new build

(38 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2743 times

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i just put a new computer together but i'm getting an error. it will flash "no hard disk detected" then the screen stops at "GRUB hard disk error" i'm not able to do anything but shut it down after that

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,
The usually questions. :) :)
Start here.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=363355
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i've formatted to ntfs and want to install vista. the disk has been wiped and reformatted. why would GRUB show up?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Part of GRUB lives in the Master Boot Record (MBR). It may be that whatever you used to wipe the disk did not get the MBR. A format will never wipe the MBR since it is not part of any partition.

You should be booting from some install media. If you install Vista, it will write it's bootloader to the MBR. If you install Ubuntu, it will install GRUB to the MBR. If you want to dual boot, you will have to follow one of those guides for doing fancy bootloader tricks.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i'm not dual booting, just vista will be the only os. i reformatted the hard drive again. i'll see what happens

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

the second reformat got it. vista is loading. sorry i didn't try hard enough before posting

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

now vista won't install. it says no drive is found

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

@raphoenix
Careful when using links with user OzSpitt, doesn't seem to like it when people use them. ;-)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, I think you need to re-partition, not reformat. If you can't do this from the Vista install disc, there may be some more Linux leftovers. For example, if there was an ext2/3 partition, Vista might not see it. Now might be the time to try DBAN to wipe the disk -- MBR, partition table, all of it.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i did wipe the disk, ill try another hard drive.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@JonMCC33,

I thought 0z was trying to do a Linux again.

My mistake.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,
ScottW is correct.
You got to knock out the MBR and Partition tables and would also suggest unlocking the Bios raid and doing all drives separately before configuring them back together as you like.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i tried a second hard drive and it wouldn't load up. i get an error that flashes real quick about a missing gateway. it tells me to be online (it is). the mother board is an asus p5q pro, a seagate 320 gb hdd, and an intel core2 duo e8400. and a lite-on dvd burner.
rick, i don't know what any of that means.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, what are you booting from when you get this error? Normally, you start by booting from the Vista install disc. When (if?) it finds the hard drive then you partition it and start the install. Part way through the install, the system restarts and needs to boot from the hard drive to continue the install. If your boot list is messed up at this point, you might boot from something else so be sure or use the boot menu (often F12) to pick the hard drive.

The talk of missing gateway and be online sounds like the system is trying to boot from the network. You DO NOT want to boot from the network. You could take that out of your boot list in the BIOS menus.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

the only thing on the boot list is the dvd and hard drive. with the vista disk it gets up to where i want to install it, but stops because it doesn't find any hard drive. also that error message shows up when it's going through the start up phases

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,

Check the Boot Order Setup in the Bios Setup.
1. If Multiple HDs Drives, Ensure the the HD you are trying to boot to is Number (1) in the (Secondary Order Screen).
2. In the (Primary Order Screen), order should be something like below:
Floppy
CD
HD
NetWork
Look in Asus Manual for what I mean by Secondary Order Screen and Primary Order Screen.
It is abit hard to explain without pictures. Exact Wording will vary.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oz, these modern Asus boards come with lots of features, some of them may be causing this confusion.

The error message, "no hard disk detected" may be coming from the IDE controller. If you are using all SATA drives, there is nothing attached to the IDE controller so it flashes up that message. That's also why it would go by quickly. If it sat there a long time, it would slow down the boot process.

This motherboard also has ExpressGate, which is the much hyped feature that lets you boot a small Linux environment directly from the motherboard. Since this is a Linux kernel, it might be what is putting up the GRUB message. It would be best to disable ExpressGate in the BIOS for now.

You should go through the all of the BIOS settings and check them. Consult the motherboard for any features you are not familiar with. Also, did you check for and apply a BIOS update?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,
The technical term for my above post is (RTFM). Asus has greatly improved their documentation over the past 15 years.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

you guys are helping me greatly. another thing i'm finding is every time i shut down and restart one small setting gets where i need it. i've finally got vista installed. now for the asus cd, it's massive!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

0z,
DON'T FORGET TO GO TO ASUS SITE AND UPDATE BIOS AFTER ALL MACHINE DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED !!!!
Bios probably has had an update since you purchased the MB.
Asus will normally have about (10) during the life of the MB.
Also Expect On-Going Updates for (ALL) Machine Drivers during the life of the MB.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!